• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Harnesses

Snowberry

Wise Old Thumper
Who uses a harness for their bunnies? Are they any good? I have never used one for mine with them being indoors but in the summer it would be realyl useful to have one to walk Strawberry up to the garden as if I carry him he just struggles like mad and he hates going in his carrier.

I tried one on my first pair of house rabbits about 11 years ago. They went crazy and started throwing themselves about like I was trying to kill them, and promptly chewed through the lead and ran off to hide in a corner!

Funnily enough I haven't bothered trying again! :lol:

I used to harness mine so they could enjoy the garden (it's really big and open plan so I couldn't have let them free range) but had to stop when they got ill with the worms and coccidiosis, from wildies being there.

There are very mixed opinions about harnesses. How do you buns like being handled? If they don't like to be restrained I shouldn't think they'd cope with a harness. Another thing with harnesses is that you don't walk them - they walk you!!

I do! :wave::wave::wave: However, only on Teddy (and will start with Ruby now, because she's young.) He's used one since he was really young, so doesn't mind it at all. He pulls me about my parent's gardens (My dad's isn't bunny proof.) At my mums he wears the harness, but not the lead. That way, if he decided to be difficult then I could get him.

Most people on here don't like them. If the bunny spooked then a harness could hurt them. So it really depends on the bun. Ted couldn't care less...but Ruby might hate it. I don't think I'll ever try Maximus with one, as he's a skittish bunny.......not lazy and content...:roll:

Strawberry is sociable, likes being with us but doesnt like being lifted up. I am not sure how he would cope with not being able to run in the direction he wants, he is a real live wire. I also think I would lose my fingers when putting it on as if he doesnt like something he doesnt hold back with his teeth!!!

Strawberry is sociable, likes being with us but doesnt like being lifted up. I am not sure how he would cope with not being able to run in the direction he wants, he is a real live wire. I also think I would lose my fingers when putting it on as if he doesnt like something he doesnt hold back with his teeth!!!

I think maybe not then! You could try putting one on, and see how it goes, but make sure you have someone there to help get him out of it if he freaks out!!

I think maybe not then! You could try putting one on, and see how it goes, but make sure you have someone there to help get him out of it if he freaks out!!

I will get my OH to help me give it a go with him. He will either love it or hate it. There is no inbetween with Strawberry and he lets his feelings be well none!

I will get my OH to help me give it a go with him. He will either love it or hate it. There is no inbetween with Strawberry and he lets his feelings be well none!

So long as he doesn't thrash about, like you're "keeling him ded" then I think it'll be good! Then it's a case of leaving the harness itself on, and then gradually putting the lead on. Keep it slack as much as possible.

Attach the fastening on his tummy first, so if he panicks and gets away from you there's no risk of him strangling himself.

Attach the fastening on his tummy first, so if he panicks and gets away from you there's no risk of him strangling himself.

Thanks. He was more than happy to run round the living room the other night with a prawn cracker bag on his head (he was searching for crumbs) so I cant see how he can complain at a harness!

I use it with Autumn (AKA 'Baby'), and he absolutely loves it.

My other 16 buns (most of whom are super friendly and sociable) can't stand the restriction.

I taught 'Baby' when he was really young (we started working on it when he was about 8 weeks or so). However, Summer (RIP) and Tilly (RIP) both learnt the harness and enjoyed the harness at an adult age, and for Summer, she was positively an old lady.

Try it with the harness on first, but no lead, and try it inside. When you first try it with the lead, also try it inside just in case he can wriggle out.

I originally did with Leo, because the garden is too open for him to free-range (and i doubt i'd be able to catch him again!). He enjoyed it to start with. The only problem i had was when he wanted to go into the flowerbeds or by the fence that has a gap underneath. It's quite difficult to stop them going anywhere because you can't pull them back, so you have to just grab them!
I did stop using it however, when something spooked him and he took off. I didn't want to hurt him, so i had to run after him so he didn't strangle himself. Obviously i couldn't let go of the lead either. So i had to get right next to him and pick him up whilst he was mid-sprint! After that i decided it was just too much with him and left it. It's a shame that the garden isn't better suited, because he loved running up and down and binkying :(
Aside from that, it was flippin' difficult to get the thing on him!

Must admit not all my bunnies like the lead aha most of them tend to sit there asif to say and why am i here? This isnt on my ajender And have a bath like they could do in there cage lol!!
xxx

I use them, though I haven't in a while... my youngest rabbits aren't harness trained and I don't think I'm even going to try with Cloud, he's nervous enough as he is XD
The others are fine with them though:3

All 3 of my rabbits have/do wear harness and leads, and only tried them out as adults. I've never had them hate it, and i think they like the fact it means they get to explore the garden which they can't normally as its not bunny proof anymore. They have all been altered slightly though, so its the band around the middle that teh lead attaches too, and tehy both have extendable dog leads on it for when they run. I think it depends on the bunny completely, Eddie loves his, hates travelling in the crate so he gets the harness part put on and travels on my knee in the back of the car which he's so much happier with when he has to go to the vets, and it means i can have a secure hold of him (normally on my shoulder leaning against the window - it;s a ka so they barely open and he loves it)

Charlie has one which he is fine with. He doesn't like sitting still for me to put it on, but after that he hardly notices.
But I hardly use it coz the failure of a rabbit is scared of being outside :lol:

Julie loves hers. She hates like mad to be picked up but doesn't mind being picked up or carried if she is is wearing the harness. She has to wear the harness to even go to the Vets and be put on the table. The Vet tried to take it off the first time and quickly put it back on when she would not let her pick her up to examine and clean her ears. Really it is easier to put it on a baby rabbit for the first time. Adult rabbits tend to freak the first time.

Back