• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Not Ringworm, Anyone Got Any Ideas??

Lspacehopper

Wise Old Thumper
Hi,

Some weeks ago we had a GP with ringworm. She was treated with Intrafungol and isolated completely. All PPE was observed by the store team She had her own supplies and virkon was sprayed on everything to eradicate the spores. We were meticulous.

Following the latest hair plucks and tests she has been declared clear.

We now have a rabbit that has lost all the fur round just one eye and it is slightly swollen. She was treated with Xeno as a precaution. She has had hair plucks cultured and sent off to the lab. The vet rang today and the tests so far have all come back negative for ringworm. We have been using Daktarin as an intermediate treatment. Had the tests come back positive we would have started using the Intrafungol.

Anyway, after talking to the vet we have decided to stop using the Daktarin for a few days to see what happens, as it doesn't seem to be doing anything.

The bun is in total isolation and all procedures are observed.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what it could be?

I should have got a pic for you, I guess.

As far as I am aware it can be hard to isolate ringworm, so you can get a false negative. If held under a UV light the hair can show up as apple green, but again this is a quick test, before sending off samples, and doesn't always show a positive.
If you have ruled out bacterial and ectopic parasites, I guess it only leaves fungal.:?

As far as I am aware it can be hard to isolate ringworm, so you can get a false negative. If held under a UV light the hair can show up as apple green, but again this is a quick test, before sending off samples, and doesn't always show a positive.
If you have ruled out bacterial and ectopic parasites, I guess it only leaves fungal.:?

It is hard to isolate. The problem is there is no set pattern to ringworm either. We've another couple of weeks to wait to see if anything else comes back positivie. We also did the UV light test and nothing showed up. The vet has been very thorough.

I feel so sorry for the bun, because she's such a friendly little thing and just wants fuss, but we have to be so careful.

Back