• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

This may be a silly question, dewlaps?

Rae033

Young Bun
So this is something I have been wondering, does a female bunny who is fixed and has never been bred or have any litters will her dewlap be smaller than one who has had babies? This may sound extremely silly and random, but I couldnt find any answers on the internet. So I figured I may get some answers on here! :lol:

Not necessarily. Genetics and breed play a part too. I know of some people with buns who have never had any litters, were spayed early and have massive dewlaps (despite being a healthy weight), and others who have had several litters, and little to no dewlap at a healthy weight.

Thank you!! I was debating about asking this question, but I couldnt find it anywhere and figured someone would know the answer :)

It's normal for unspayed females to have bigger dewlaps though, and females who are spayed early tend to have smaller ones. There will always be exceptions though. The dewlap is basically nature's nest - the mum bun plucks fur from it to line her nest for babies, so it stands to reason that it's related to hormones and will normally be bigger in hormonal bunnies :)

Back