• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Ive been offered another bunny

Lillian

Warren Veteran
Well actually i've been offered a couple, and my mum was offered one aswell. One particular bunny's story stole my heart, and as shes had everything done, and i already have spare accommodation it wouldn't cost anything to take her on (other than slightly higher bedding/feeding costs)

But i don't think i can, i think i have to look at this logically, be happy with what i've got. But when an animal desperately needs a home, and you have a home to offer.. how do you stop yourself, how can you turn away a needy animal? We are constantly being offered animals, if it was up to me i'd take them all. It's breaking my heart, why can't people be responsible for the animals they take on (I know some people have real reasons that forces them to rehome animals).

One woman said to my mum "Do you want a rabbit? I can't be bothered to feed it or clean it out in winter". It keeps playing round and round in my head, that poor bunny.. and so many other animals treated just the same.

My ex once said to me "You want to save every single animal, but you can't, it's not possible" - one of the most painful truths :cry::cry:

Sorry, i guess i'm just over emotional tonight.

Im no help unfortunatly. I get told the same thing "you care more about helping animals than people etc etc"
I think sometimes its better if people like us remain ignorant of those that are maybe suffering, otherwise you will just feel constantly guilty that you cant save them all. :(

Sorry im no help with this. I think I would just crumble, especially if I had the room. It'll be different if there was no room.
x

I already have too many Rabbits. I give them the best care possible, they are all vaccinated and never go without Veterinary care should they need it. None are shut in a small hutch/cage, BUT if I had fewer Rabbits I could give them much more space.

Just yesterday I was made aware of a Rabbit in desperate need of a home but I had to force myself to say 'no'. It is all too easy to say 'just one more wont be a problem' But where would it end because there will ALWAYS be another Rabbit in need and as your Ex said, we cant help them all :cry:

There has to come a time when we say 'no more' so as not to jeopardize the standard of care and the amount of space the Rabbits we already have receive.

This one bunny i want to take on at the mo, was recently attacked by a big dog.. i really want to take her in. I asked my mum, she moaned a bit and said we need to find out whats wrong with Pooka first, before we consider more (Which shows she follows her head most of the time, unlike me who just rushes in :oops:)

ETA: Jacks-Jane everything you said is true, and i constantly ask myself "Where will it end? Because there's always another one". When i was little we had 2 dogs, 2 cats and a gerbil... now its 5 dogs, 8 cats, 18 bunnies, plus other animals. It would be so many more if we'd taken in all the ones we were offered.

I know i should think 'look at all the ones we have saved' but instead its 'look at all the ones i can't save' :(

Last edited:
I think we all have to remind ourselves that we can't save them all unfortunately. Someone at work offered me a bun a couple of weeks ago, said she would let it go if i didn't take it but i had to stick to my guns, she actually rehomed it to a friend of a friend in the end.

This one bunny i want to take on at the mo, was recently attacked by a big dog.. i really want to take her in. I asked my mum, she moaned a bit and said we need to find out whats wrong with Pooka first, before we consider more (Which shows she follows her head most of the time, unlike me who just rushes in :oops:)

ETA: Jacks-Jane everything you said is true, and i constantly ask myself "Where will it end? Because there's always another one". When i was little we had 2 dogs, 2 cats and a gerbil... now its 5 dogs, 8 cats, 18 bunnies, plus other animals. It would be so many more if we'd taken in all the ones we were offered.

I know i should think 'look at all the ones we have saved' but instead its 'look at all the ones i can't save' :(

I find it so hard not to think of the ones I cant help so I do know what you mean. But I also know that I could easily have gotten into difficulties myself if I kept on taking in more Rabbits. I just try to tell myself that the ones I have here are 'safe' and will never go without love and care. In time and through sad 'natural causes' my numbers will decrease and I will be able to offer those remaining even more space.

My failing health is another reason for me not taking in more Rabbits. But as I say, that does not stop me from feeling :cry: when I am made aware of one in need and I have to say 'no' :cry:

I can relate to this, hence number 6 on saturday. My brain was screaming "no!, you cant afford it and dont have the extra time!" and my mouth just rebelled and went "ok, I'll take her, give me a couple of hours to sort out accomodation" :roll:

horrible to be feeling this way, especially as you're having a hard time with pooka.

i would love to be able to take on more bunnies - i have the time, love and space, just not the money for any more vets bills.

i feel horrible that my 2 are sooo loved by us humans and have everything they could possible need - except the company of another bun each as they can't live together any longer:(

hugs to you xxxx

Oh God, how difficult is it to say no though? It makes me feel physically sick not to be able to say, give her to me, I will take care of her.

You are very kind but I will have to agree with your ex boyfriend. Sadly, you can't help them all.:cry:

My mum said "we might aswell turn the whole garden into a :censored: rabbit rescue".. then she said take we can take in one more, but thats it for a while, until we've bonded more of the bunnies and built the new accommodation.

I think if i could work for a rescue then i wouldn't feel so bad about not being able to always take in more needy buns. But sadly there's no rescues close enough for me to go and help out.

So, take one more, if your mum agrees, but please stop feeling guilty for not being able to help any more animals in need. You are doing more than most of us here.:)

Back