• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Am I being silly? *Have to get this off my chest!*

Hanlou

Mama Doe
I just have to share this with people that hopefully will understand!

I really want to have rabbits and as most will know have been researching on here / enjoying seeing other people's bunny pics and stories etc. But we're not set up for rabbits yet. I have the perfect Bunny Outdoor Set-up all planned out for next year (have even mentally planned out the inside and measured up the yard and everything! :oops:) but I will have to save up for it first and we will have to clear the area and put some extra paving slabs down etc first.

BUT there is a nearby bunny who is obviously suffering from the usual lack of attention / too-small hutch / rubbish diet etc and I see him every day - we have offered to take him in as not only is it hurting me to see him being treated like this I am very concerned that he won't survive this winter if I *don't* take him in. :(

My beloved (who although not so obsessive as I am loves animals and is a total softy) tactfully asked them about said bunny and mentioned that should they decide to rehome him we'd have him. (There are other issues surrounding said 'bun that made it fairly easy to do this without sounding weird / grabby!). The response was that they'd thought about us and the bunny already knowing that we are planning to have rabbits in the future and knowing that we would give him a good home but they 'love the rabbit' and so would have to think about it. This was a week ago. The current rabbits' owners haven't said anything more to us yet on the subject.

I feel as if I'm going crazy now waiting to hear what they will decide to do - with all the bad weather etc. I've found myself worrying about this-rabbit-that-I-might-never-have-anyway. It's driving me mad not being able to do anything about it. :cry:

I've planned out where we would put the rabbit - I've even planned out what I'd buy / how we'd house him (he would have plenty of room as things can be juggled round with no problems) and how I could keep him in over winter and get him neutered and pair him in spring. I feel as if I'm being really silly and...... it's really getting to me and making me feel very sad. :cry:

Am I being silly?! I keep telling myself to forget him - he's not mine and we've done all we can by offering a home but now we just have to wait - if we get him then we will do all we can for him but if not I have to resign myself and mentally 'let go'. But it's not easy.

I guess I just wanted to share this with people that (hopefully!) understand!

Last edited:
I understand :)

If the bunnies owners are having doubts because they "love the rabbit" (even though by the sounds of it they aren't treating it with the love it deserves) then you could maybe ask them if they have thought about your offer and let them know that they would be welcome to visit whenever they wanted. If they can't give it the attention it needs whilst it is living with them then I doubt they would actually bother to come to your house to spend time with it. But the invitation may sway them.

Good luck. It sounds like you will be a fab bunny mummy in the future if this one doesn't work out.

I know exactly how you feel. It kills me to see my next door neighbour's rabbit sat in his hutch with a inch of straw in the bed section and bare boards in the rest of it. I've told them what he needs and I've given them umpteen leaflets from the RWA but it's pointless phoning the RSPCA because they feed him and clean him out etc. Basically, they keep him alive but that's about it.

Sadly, there's not much you can do I'm afraid. Have you given them any RWA leaflets? Point out the 'duty of care' from the Animal Welfare Act and you could perhaps point out that their hutch "may not" meet those requirements and that you "wouldn't want them to fall foul of the law". I persuaded my neighbours to buy a Thistle Hall hutch for their bunny by giving them all the leaflets but sadly they wouldn't stretch to a run as well. At least it's better than the 3ft box that he was in.

Thank you for your comments and support. :) xx

Rachel - Lol yes that it is *just* what we did! We said that they and the children would be more than welcome to come round and see him whenever they wanted to (not that I really think they would bother as you said....) and all that. Thanks.

Mackers - The thing is we have suffered from very real and very nasty neighbour problems in the past which thankfully have now been resolved (they moved away!!) so we are keen to stay on good terms with them.

I guess I'll just have to wait and see how things go for the time being and if nothing is said do what you mentioned and um, 'nudge' things along a bit.

But it's helped pouring it all out. :p

I will definitely update you if anything further happens. I was watching the bunny through the window recently (lol I sound like a manic bunny-stalker!) and when the kids went on the lawn the rabbit went crazy trying to get their attention - jumping up at its bars etc. But no-one paid it any attention. Eventually it just gave up and sat all hunched over looking depressed. :(

I understand :)

If the bunnies owners are having doubts because they "love the rabbit" (even though by the sounds of it they aren't treating it with the love it deserves) then you could maybe ask them if they have thought about your offer and let them know that they would be welcome to visit whenever they wanted. If they can't give it the attention it needs whilst it is living with them then I doubt they would actually bother to come to your house to spend time with it. But the invitation may sway them.

Good luck. It sounds like you will be a fab bunny mummy in the future if this one doesn't work out.

This is my thoughts exactly

awww ... i would ask them again .. :(

I probably will have to I think.

We had the boys down here last night for a long cuddle-time on our knees 'cos I needed cheering up! :p

Tommy was as good as gold but Ronnie was a wriggle-bum, lol. I keep telling them that they should be grateful it's not them out in the cold but they just wheek at me for *more* veggies. Then flop out under the hayrack. They're so hard done to. ;)

I will let everyone know what happens anyway xx

I probably will have to I think.

We had the boys down here last night for a long cuddle-time on our knees 'cos I needed cheering up! :p

Tommy was as good as gold but Ronnie was a wriggle-bum, lol. I keep telling them that they should be grateful it's not them out in the cold but they just wheek at me for *more* veggies. Then flop out under the hayrack. They're so hard done to. ;)

I will let everyone know what happens anyway xx

aww bless em :love:

I know exactly how you feel. It kills me to see my next door neighbour's rabbit sat in his hutch with a inch of straw in the bed section and bare boards in the rest of it. I've told them what he needs and I've given them umpteen leaflets from the RWA but it's pointless phoning the RSPCA because they feed him and clean him out etc. Basically, they keep him alive but that's about it.

Sadly, there's not much you can do I'm afraid. Have you given them any RWA leaflets? Point out the 'duty of care' from the Animal Welfare Act and you could perhaps point out that their hutch "may not" meet those requirements and that you "wouldn't want them to fall foul of the law". I persuaded my neighbours to buy a Thistle Hall hutch for their bunny by giving them all the leaflets but sadly they wouldn't stretch to a run as well. At least it's better than the 3ft box that he was in.

I can see what your saying but, as I found out last week it isn't law. There are guidelines, the RSPCA cannot do anything about it. I am extremely upset by what I saw last week on viewing a house, I haven't been able to get the buns out of my head and I have to live in the knowledge that some are being killed and eaten for Christmas. The RSPCA will only be able to act when the act is made law and that can only happen if everyone puts pressure on their local MP to call for the act to be upgraded. Have a look in the Welfare section at the thread on ending 'farming' of rabbits and the thread I posted. The act needs to be upgraded to ensure that the 'farming' conditions initially are made a law - minimum standards for keeping them, this will prevent back garden breeders keeping them in tiny 'breeding hutches' and stacking them 4 or 5 high with no hay and green water bottles at least. Once it's in place they will be able to extend it to pet owners hopefully. That is my understanding, it won't prevent breeding or eating etc but, might ensure they are entitled to a reasonable standard of living whilst they are alive. Regarding the bunny you are talking about, I would be inclined to send them a bunny Christmas card with your mobile number or tel number in it and say please don't forget I have fallen in love with your bunny. I wouldn't push it to much but, if you send a card with your number - who knows they might ring you? x

Back