• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I'm having a headache. Now Roger.

Sky-O

Wise Old Thumper
This is not a surprise in the slightest, I just need some thoughts, or someone to agree with what I'm doing or something. I'm so scared I'm killing all my buns and they are all going to die.

Roger was bonded with Tilly whom we lost on Saturday.

Roger is a former wildie and has now lost two very confident girlfriends in 6 months (going from a trio, to a pair, to back to being a single again). This has understandably shaken him.

Towards the end of last week Roger was a bit off, but with hindsight, and the fact he has super honed instincts, I think he knew we were losing Tilly.

When he saw her body he perked up. I think he understood that it was ok, she was gone and it was right (in his own way of course).

Since she has died he has been very perky, but understandably very, very nervous (his confidence came from Tilly and previously Summer). He is very interested, very lively.

Herein lies the problem. He is not eating vast amounts. He is eating maybe half of what he would normally. He won't eat around me anymore (possibly down to the stress I feel, and also his nerves), and whilst I'm checking him on a semi regular basis (every couple of hours or so), he is eating some, but not all. However, like I said, he remains very lively and alert. This morning his poos look like the poos of a bunny who has been eating more fresh (which he has been doing), but they are not particularly small, although I think there were less of them.

Now, currently he is outside in his familiar setting and seems to be coping ok with the cold, but obviously this could also be impacting on veing reluctant to come out and eat. He is snugglesafed up to the eyeballs.

The cold is a concern for me because if he is eating less then obviously he may not have enough energy to keep warm.

I have the option to move him into the porch, which is warmer, but that would be unsettling for him. Very unsettling and may do more harm than good.

Currently, as he is alert, I have ruled out force feeding because that would add more stress and make things so much worse for this poor little chap.

I so have several options for bonding with him, but didn't want to do anything immediately. I wanted him to settle a bit, but if he's not, is this too soon to start bonding? A bond that is potentially going to be a difficult bond?

I just feel like I need to back off, let him settle and give minimal interference. Does that sound right and ok? The hardest thing to do is when you do nothing. :cry:I don't want to lose another one.

I dont have any advice for Roger but just wanted to say you do a wonderful job with all your bunnies! I know you will give Roger the care that he needs.

Aw, I feel very sorry for both of you. Perhaps he is not eating so much because now there is no competition for the food and he can eat at his leasure.

Everything I have read about bonding a recently bereaved bun says that you should do it as soon as possible. He is used to being with another bun and it will also help with the cold issue if he has someone to cuddle up to.

I really feel for you, although we have to put the buns first, its not an easy decision to invite another bun into your life so soon.

All the very best of luck, whatever you decide but I know there are lots of deserving buns out there who would love a forever home for christmas.

sorry you're having such a rough time but don't despair - you do a grand job and have given me some great advice when i've been worried.

do you think roger may be eating less as he has no competition for food at the moment? just an idea as when eric & esme were bonded, essie ate like a pig but now she's eating less on her own as there's no one to snatch the food off. like rodger, she seems happy and perky enough (and she doesn't feel like she's lost any weight at all) but there are a few less poops (again, they appear to be fresh food ones too).

xxx

If I have a bereaved bunny I am worried about I usually put another at least next to them through the wire, so they can interact and bunny chat.

I also have a feeling, which may be totally daft, but I think they pick up on our instincts and concerns. If I am getting stressed by a bonding I always split the bunnies up and try again next day, I am sure they know I am getting stressed!

May be totally wrong but little Roger (particularly if he is a wildie) may have such well honed instincts he knows you are worried? Just a thought, a lot of people think I am absolutely mad, but I truly believe rabbits are so instinctive they can pick much more up than, say, humans!!

Good luck, you obviously care for your bunnies so much, and I am sure they are very lucky to be with you.

Alice

Thank you all for your speedy replies :)

Jaysmonkey and Snowberry, thank you for your very kind words :) Whenever I lose somebunny, or things wobble, I lose all confidence in my ability as a rabbit owner. It's good to know others can have confidence in me, even if I don't have it in myself.

Bungle Bunny and poppymoon. Yes, that was something I had considered about the food competition. Tilly and Summer used to go nuts for food and I'm sure it whipped him up. It must seem like such an anti climax. Yesterday he had a marvellous time rolling a treat ball all around every where and emptying the contents, but ate very little, and normally he would have to wrestle Tilly (and previously Summer) for it.

I've come across a variety of buns after they lost a partner and some react well to a friend so soon, and others flip out. I'm thinking maybe its worth a shot?

Thankfully I have a mitful of bunnies here, and if he is desperate enough, he will choose one of them.

My first choice will be Sandy, who wants to be dominant with any bunny, and Roger is very submissive. He will have to move into my bedroom (which is pretty-very-cool) for this to work, because this is where she lives and she obviously can't come outside.

My second choice could be Rosie (who is also inside), but she has been playdating with Badger as she recovers. I could try a trio, but not sure either Badger or Roger would go together.

Another option would be my Swarming, who are a mmf trio, but I just don't think Roger would go for another man, but then maybe desperate times call for desperate measures.

I can NOT try him with my trio of The Dopeys and Cloud because Cloud would eat Roger faster than Roger could take an intake of breath. I also won't go near Candyfloss and Dusk because they are a very tempermental and I don't want to risk upsetting their bond because it has been very good for both of them.

I have Sky, Star, Baby and Angel as single males, but I think they are rule out-able because of being men, although, technically they are options.

My last and final option is to locate a girl or two to adopt for him. I'd rather NOT do this because of already having so many, but if he needs to, then so be it.

In terms of the food competition issue, what can I do about that? Could I maybe try feeding him with some bunnies in the enclosure next to him to maybe excite him?

He is hand shy, or else I could consider bringing him in and feeding him with Sandy (he will DEFINITELY have to compete for it then-she is such a gut).

This is a headache!

In case you can't tell, I'm just thinking this all outloud so that someone can kick me into line if I'm doing something wrong.

If I have a bereaved bunny I am worried about I usually put another at least next to them through the wire, so they can interact and bunny chat.

I also have a feeling, which may be totally daft, but I think they pick up on our instincts and concerns. If I am getting stressed by a bonding I always split the bunnies up and try again next day, I am sure they know I am getting stressed!

May be totally wrong but little Roger (particularly if he is a wildie) may have such well honed instincts he knows you are worried? Just a thought, a lot of people think I am absolutely mad, but I truly believe rabbits are so instinctive they can pick much more up than, say, humans!!

Good luck, you obviously care for your bunnies so much, and I am sure they are very lucky to be with you.

Alice

The bolded bit is an EXCELLENT idea. His run is easily divideable in to two. I have several singles I can rotate round into that space as and when. That is such an awesome idea, thank you.

With regards to your bit about stress, I completely agree. I did mention it in my OP because I do think he does pick up on anything and everything around him. He is so in tune with everything, and yes, I completely agree. I have made a conscious effort to check him less, and stay calm. I was singing earlier as I did the buns and around him, but he didn't like that :roll::lol:

I agree with Alicechamberlain - I believe that bunnies are quite finely tuned and get easily disturbed by changes around them etc.

I would try and keep him in his own territory, as another change on top of his recent losses may just be too much for him to cope with.

We have some wildies at the rescue, and luckily we have the space to allow them to continue living with little contact from us, as they just don't cope well with it.

Maybe finding another girl is the easiest option, but give yourself a few days and I'm sure you'll find the solution that suits Roger.

Back