• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Liver Lobe Torsion ?

My girl Foofoo had chronic liver lobe torsion. Postmortem revealed it but I don't know the cause of it.

Yes, my Izzy died of a liver lobe torsion (or at least from the ruptured blood vessels that happened at the same time) :cry::cry:

The post-mortem (done by mr H-B) showed that the liver looked perfectly normal, apparently sometimes the liver is particularly long or thinner than normal, or has some kind of abnormality that makes it weaker - nothing at all to be seen in Izzy's case so it was a mystery why it happened :cry::cry:

I was told that they've seen other rabbits in post-mortems that have had liver torsions at some stage in their life and survived it, again there is often something 'different' about their livers but nothing was known about them having the condition until it showed up in the post-mortem.:?

The cause of the torsion is usually unknown. I am suspicious that due to the liver's close proximity to the stomach that stomach dilation could alter liver position and allow rotation. Trauma or increased abdominal pressure could also potentially cause movement. It's not a very common problem but Langford Rabbit Clinic vets have seen several cases and are very interested in this problem so they are the best place to contact with any suspicious cases. is it one of your buns Jane? If so what symptoms is it showing?

The cause of the torsion is usually unknown. I am suspicious that due to the liver's close proximity to the stomach that stomach dilation could alter liver position and allow rotation. Trauma or increased abdominal pressure could also potentially cause movement. It's not a very common problem but Langford Rabbit Clinic vets have seen several cases and are very interested in this problem so they are the best place to contact with any suspicious cases. is it one of your buns Jane? If so what symptoms is it showing?

The Bun was not mine and is sadly now deceased :cry: He belonged to a friend of my Vets.
The history did involve an episode of possible trauma (someone, NOT the owner) accidentally handled the Bun very roughly :cry: But prior to this Bun had been 'off colour' for a couple of days :?
After the 'rough handling' episode Bun seemed OK but the next morning he was really poorly and died on the way to the Vets :cry: PM revealed nothing abnormal except the Liver Torsion :?

The awful thing is that the person who accidentally roughly handled the Bun has a terminal illness herself. And now Bun's owner cant bring herself to talk to her. :cry:

Back