• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunnyruns.

Starlight

Warren Veteran
May I please ask anyone who has volunteered to help in a bunnyrun up or down the coutry to remember beforehand to find out the Address and Telephone numbers of the people you are meeting, and taking the rabbit to.This is not much to ask for.

I just had a call from a fosterer who had been left effectively stranded in the midlands with two rabbits due to continue going North, thanks to someone who started an arguement stating she did not know any addresses or phone numbers, after i had spent time of my own this afternoon pm'ing and texting the information to my fosterer to tell her.

This ended in the two unrelated, unbonded rabbits being dumped out of their carriers TOGETHER onto the floor of a house and the person doing the next leg of the bun run, storming out.

This could have caused a big fight at my expense if they were injured, and to the rabbits health and well being.
This has brought up some major safety warnings with me, and I am rethinking ever sending a rabbit on a bunnyrun and stickng to my localised area, as i can not risk a rabbit's health and well being like this.

Luckily, both were caught before they noticed each other, and the fosterer will be driving another 2+ hours to get them to their destination.

This will mostly be at my expense in petrol.

So please, when you volunteer, make sure you have all the correct information before leaving.

That is not a responsible animal lover by any means. If you offer your services like they obviously had of done then it is that persons responsibility to have all the necessary telephone numbers needed just in case things go wrong.
Please dont think about stopping the bunny runs (I have helped with Bobbi's run to Cornwall) perhaps it needs a designated person to co-ordinate these. A voluntary transport manager who can also be on the end of the phone on the day of the run?
Where there is a bunny there is a way of doing something.

just glad the two bunnies are ok.

I think the whole bunnyrun system is deeply flawed, and we are seriously considering not helping with them again unless it involves helping rescues distribute parge numbers in an emergency.:?

I have posted my concerns about them on numerous occassions about who is responsible while the buns are traveling etc and the potential to get stuck with vet fees.

On top of that I feel that the stress on the bunnies is so unfair. many are travelling in a number of different cars on the same days or staying in strangers houses for a night here and there and I feel it is so unnecessary :(

Most people have rescues with in an hour or 2 drive from where they live and I strongly feel that bunnies should be rehomed in the local area as much as is possible. And if people do want bunnies from further away they should only do so if they can collect them in person so it is one car with the owners the bunny is going to live with.

I know we rehome from all over the country but with many of ours the only other option they have is pts :( and also Steve generally always travels to collect them from the rescue, although rescues often help by travelling a few junctions for us :)

I sometimes think the true interests of the bunnies are lost in bunnyrun arrangements :?

I've replied on your other thread on this subject.

I think it's mostly a simple lack of communication, rather than anything malicious.

I agree that people must ensure they have details such as mobile number, address or meeting point, car details, etc, sorted well in advance.

The worst thing I've ever had is a 3 hour wait in services because someone didn't tell me she was running late, and I didn't even know which direction she was coming from! It was rather annoying at the time, but I can see the funny side now :lol:

As I posted on your other thread I think the person requesting the bunny run should get all the contact details, names, numbers, times etc sorted and keep a list. Things often get confused on here so one person must "take charge" and that should be the person/rescue trying to get the buns to the new place.

Also I have been getting a little concerned about bunnies travelling from one end of the country to the other, staying at numerous places. Surely it is better to find a bun closer to home?

Liz you are of course the excepting as often your buns have no other option, as with large rescue operations like the Gloucester 61.

Also if someone is getting a bun for themselves do not assume a run will be done, if you can get it yourself perhaps rethink?

I think the whole bunnyrun system is deeply flawed, and we are seriously considering not helping with them again unless it involves helping rescues distribute parge numbers in an emergency.:?

I have posted my concerns about them on numerous occassions about who is responsible while the buns are traveling etc and the potential to get stuck with vet fees.

On top of that I feel that the stress on the bunnies is so unfair. many are travelling in a number of different cars on the same days or staying in strangers houses for a night here and there and I feel it is so unnecessary :(

Most people have rescues with in an hour or 2 drive from where they live and I strongly feel that bunnies should be rehomed in the local area as much as is possible. And if people do want bunnies from further away they should only do so if they can collect them in person so it is one car with the owners the bunny is going to live with.

I know we rehome from all over the country but with many of ours the only other option they have is pts :( and also Steve generally always travels to collect them from the rescue, although rescues often help by travelling a few junctions for us :)

I sometimes think the true interests of the bunnies are lost in bunnyrun arrangements :?

Totally agree with you Liz, this is why we do not home out of the immediate area, IMO its totally unnecessary for a bun to travel hundreds of miles to a new home.
I know we have been criticised on here before for not homing out of the immediate area, but what happens if these buns do not get on or it doesn't work out? They will have to then travel all the way back again, i knwo i wouldn't want to do the journey so i can imagine the bun wouldn't be too pleased about it either :?

Totally agree with you Liz, this is why we do not home out of the immediate area, IMO its totally unnecessary for a bun to travel hundreds of miles to a new home.
I know we have been criticised on here before for not homing out of the immediate area, but what happens if these buns do not get on or it doesn't work out? They will have to then travel all the way back again, i knwo i wouldn't want to do the journey so i can imagine the bun wouldn't be too pleased about it either :?

:wave: I agree with you however, there are exceptions - I personally collected my bun from Essex and sat in the back with her stroking her most of the way and we stopped and had a coffee and gave her a treat, she had access to water and hay and food all the way and slept most of it (probably due to the head massage):lol: I wouldn't return her anyway if she doesn't get on with my male as I have facilities to keep them separate and I am too attached to her. I think it is up to the 're-homer' to assess each situation and individuals but, ensuring that the bun comes first. Ness was fine it took about 2.5 hours travel for her (we were the ones who were shattered) well my OH did all the driving - I offerred to drive there and he drive back but, he insisted, he is a special guy though :love:

Excellent post :D

I have never been a fan of huge bunny runs. I got Strawberry and Snowdrop from about 80 miles away but I drove and collected them myself so they only had one car to be used to.

I often read through bunnyrun threads and cant make head or tail of what is going on as so many people get involved there is no wonder the people doing the run can get confused!

I can't see the problem with short or medium distances (i.e. I'm in Nottingham and have had buns from Durham, Liverpool and Surrey). These have worked well because there has only been one or two people involved, and there haven't been any overnight stays.

However I think very long distances like south coast England to Scotland are a bit excessive, and people should probably think about adopting from a rescue closer to home.

I totally agree with this post Liz. This is why Lucy only rehomes in our area, unless the people adopting the bunny are collecting it themselves. Its very rare exeptions are made.

Im so sorry Kris, it sounds an absolute nightmare :( xXx

we use bunnyruns but try to use just people we know we can trust ..ie. people who have adopted from us or another rescue known to us

we also prefer the adoptee to meet part way ..

we DONT usualy do overnight stays unless it is with another rescue(we have had buns stay over at bunnyhops before)

We try when ever possible to only have 2 change overs at most..more usualy the bun run consists of 1 person and the new owner meeting half way ..so only one changeover.

and if we are not the ones handing over WE provide the carrier so that they dont have to be swapped about in the middle of no where.

I agree there is an element of risk with bun runs but without rehoming out of our area our rehoming would be cut by half ..so a compromise is to take sensible precautions to minimise the risks as much as possible :)

I completely understand that rescues need to rehome outside there area sometimes, but I think it is the new owners that takes the micky out of the bunnyrun system sometimes. They spot a nice bunny miles away and decide they want it and expect others to get it for them :? Like I said in my first post
if you want a bunny from further away you should be expected to collect it yourself and liase with the rescue to make the collection. It is when other people are involved in the middle that it all seems to ge wrong :? But I honestly think people should try and adopt in there own area first :)

the other week I was asked to help with a bunnyrun, I did it but was very reluctant to do it and TBh wish I hadn't.

We collected the bun from the rescue, drove it 2 hours back to our house for the new owners to pick up and take back to theres which was 1 and half hours, so in total bunny travelled 3 and a half hours on the road, plus had to stay at ours for around an hour. If the owners had traveled straight to the rescue it would have been a 2 hour drive for the bunny. I pointed this out more than once but owners said yes but it is only and hour and a half for us to get to you. So yes the owners saved an hours driving time but the poor bunny ended up travelling for more than double the time the direct route would have taken. So I wasn't helping the bunny at all :(

I completely understand that rescues need to rehome outside there area sometimes, but I think it is the new owners that takes the micky out of the bunnyrun system sometimes. They spot a nice bunny miles away and decide they want it and expect others to get it for them :? Like I said in my first post
if you want a bunny from further away you should be expected to collect it yourself and liase with the rescue to make the collection. It is when other people are involved in the middle that it all seems to ge wrong :? But I honestly think people should try and adopt in there own area first :)

the other week I was asked to help with a bunnyrun, I did it but was very reluctant to do it and TBh wish I hadn't.

We collected the bun from the rescue, drove it 2 hours back to our house for the new owners to pick up and take back to theres which was 1 and half hours, so in total bunny travelled 3 and a half hours on the road, plus had to stay at ours for around an hour. If the owners had traveled straight to the rescue it would have been a 2 hour drive for the bunny. I pointed this out more than once but owners said yes but it is only and hour and a half for us to get to you. So yes the owners saved an hours driving time but the poor bunny ended up travelling for more than double the time the direct route would have taken. So I wasn't helping the bunny at all :(

I agree with you - Leanne offerred to meet me halfway with Ness and that would have still only involved the same time of travel for her but, I wanted to minimise the stress for her - I can't imagine why they put themselves before the bun? Not your fault though I would imagine it got quite awkward to get out of this once it had started. x

I think bunny runs are awesome, as long as they are planned to the finest detail. But planning is needed and the personality of the bun must be chilled so it will cope with the stress. I know when Gracie came from Warrickshire the journey didn't bother her in the slightest. She slept during the driving and played at rest stops.

Sometimes bunnies get "stuck" at rescues, all the locals have seen them, no one wants them. But someone elsewhere could think that is the perfect bunny/bunnies for them. I know i would far rather they got a home than stayed in a rescue forever. Dont get me wrong, rescues give a wonderful home, but to continue being a rescue, they need bunnies to move to new homes to leave space for new cases coming in.

Plus, we all choose to have rescue buns, which means we wont go to a breeder and choose our fave breed. So if one of our preferred breeds becomes available at a further away rescue, surely there is no problem with us helping it? Its not selfish to want a specific breed of bunny, its natural.

Just out of curiosity, are homechecks carried out before a bunnyrun is organised, or is it done via photos/email/telephoning?

I ask because I am looking at our own processes, after I spent nearly 3 hours driving for a homecheck today!

Just out of curiosity, are homechecks carried out before a bunnyrun is organised, or is it done via photos/email/telephoning?

I ask because I am looking at our own processes, after I spent nearly 3 hours driving for a homecheck today!

When i got Gracie, my knowledge and home provided was verified by Jay and John at Ebony Eyes who are good friends with Jane Dexter (who rehomed Gracie to me).

With Finn, i have sent Cerys photo's of my set up and got a recomendation letter from my vet.

Not sure how others work though.

Back