• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hello from Australia!

AussieDana

New Kit
Hi everyone :)

My name is Dana and I'm from the southwest of Western Australia (yukky 35 degree day yesterday!) and I'm becoming a new rabbit owner on 31st Dec when I pick up my 2 rescue bunnies

Jake

Darcyrabbit.jpg

and Bella

suzierabbit.jpg

We don't have any pets as Hubby and I could never agree on a breed of dog and he dislikes cats so bunnies it is! I'm a nurse and have 2 children (Darcy nearly 6, and Abbey 3) and am soooooooo excited to get my new babies :love: Christmas is just a minor blip on the radar now :lol:

We're planning on keeping them as house bunnies while we're home and have bought a large hutch 1676(L)*755(D)*1032(H) mm for when we're not home. I just wish it was NYE already so I could be snuggling my new bunnies! I decided on rescue bunnies because I feel quite strongly about pet shop conditions etc and would rather give these 2 a forever home and save them from being put to sleep. They were rescued when they were 3 wks old, in a cage in a pet shop with chickens :( Poor little things. They are brother and sister and will be neutered as soon as they can.

We don't have a great rabbit owners forum like this one in Aust so I hope you don't mind me crashing ;)

I look forward to sharing and gaining a great knowledge base on how to provide the best life possible for my 2 little buns :D

welcome to the forum and hope you enjoy all the rabbit chat and learning loads about bunnies-sue:wave:

new buns

Hi everyone :)

My name is Dana and I'm from the southwest of Western Australia (yukky 35 degree day yesterday!) and I'm becoming a new rabbit owner on 31st Dec when I pick up my 2 rescue bunnies

Jake

Darcyrabbit.jpg

and Bella

suzierabbit.jpg

We don't have any pets as Hubby and I could never agree on a breed of dog and he dislikes cats so bunnies it is! I'm a nurse and have 2 children (Darcy nearly 6, and Abbey 3) and am soooooooo excited to get my new babies :love: Christmas is just a minor blip on the radar now :lol:

We're planning on keeping them as house bunnies while we're home and have bought a large hutch 1676(L)*755(D)*1032(H) mm for when we're not home. I just wish it was NYE already so I could be snuggling my new bunnies! I decided on rescue bunnies because I feel quite strongly about pet shop conditions etc and would rather give these 2 a forever home and save them from being put to sleep. They were rescued when they were 3 wks old, in a cage in a pet shop with chickens :( Poor little things. They are brother and sister and will be neutered as soon as they can.

We don't have a great rabbit owners forum like this one in Aust so I hope you don't mind me crashing ;)

I look forward to sharing and gaining a great knowledge base on how to provide the best life possible for my 2 little buns :D
reading your thread-i had to stop/then i realized you mean celcius not farenhiet/35*-isn,t that about 100 farenhiet--anyway-hope you have a merry xmas,,with them buns...sincerely james waller:wave:

Sorry, yes that would be 35 degrees Celcius! I'm not sure of the farenheit conversion but 98-100 sounds about right. Bloody hot anyway! I love seeing all these pics of bunnies in the snow :love:

Welcome:wave:

Your new buns to be look beautiful - well done for rescuing them.

Look forwards to seeing you about xx

:wave: Welcome to RU
I find it a great source of comfort to know there is this amazing font of bunny knowledge to tap into on this forum.
Its lovely being part of a community of 'rabbit geeks' I think you'll find.
I've also found this link useful as its Australian so translates quite well to my side of the Tasman too.
http://www.boingonline.com/

Another Aussie!! Woo hoo!!

Aussie, Aussie, Aussie, oi, oi, oi!

RU is a great place to get all the info you need about bunnies.

The first bit of advice I'd like to give you is to find a rabbit savvy vet. Vets don't actually know that much about buns, especially over here so you ought to start calling around vets to find out how experienced they are with bunny care, so that you've got one in place before you need them ;)

A vet over here once said to me "no one knows bunnies like the Brits" Lol!

I've noticed a few Aussies about :D

My cousin in a vet nurse and works with a great vet surgeon who does have experience with bunnies and she speaks very highly of him. One of the other vet nurses' is the rabbit queen so I think they'll be OK. There's a specific bunny vet about 2hrs north of me if I'm not happy with this vet :D

RU is VERY addictive! :lol:

Glad to hear you've got a good rabbit vet sussed already. That really is such a relief to have someone you trust to care for your buns health needs.
Its hard to find an exotics vet here, we have only two in Auckland. I was so glad when I got my guys to see one of them.

Your buns look so cute by the way :love:

Welcome from the Eastern side of Australia. I'm a relatively new member too but have had house buns for 18 years; I have found lots of very good information on this forum. A very kindly and compassionate group.

Wish you all the best with the two little ones, you are giving them the chance they deserve. Keep an eye out with the hot weather as buns don't sweat and feel the heat by 30°C. We use plastic bottles filled about 3/4 with water and frozen. Put them near the bunnies and they rest against them. It was always cute with our lops when they flopped their ears over the bottles.:)

:wave:

Hi

welcome

your babies are beautiful

all mine are inside at present 39 today even with the air con on they had their water bottles

hope you're not near bush fires

venice

Last edited:
Back