PDA

View Full Version : flooring ideas for a dog crate?

beki
20-12-2009, 11:49 PM
I have just set up my new dog crate. it has a metal tray at the bottom which i thought was a good idea when i got it, but reggie is a thumper and it is load! i am worried the neighbours will be able to hear and will complain. Bonding ruby and reggie and reggie is doing a lot of stamping at ruby so i am in for a noisy night. Does anyone have any suggestions of what i can use as a floor, preferably cheap and easy to do?

Ruby chews carpets, fleece blankets and plastic sheeting. I wondered if foam tiles would be any good to dampen the sound of any stamping but not sure where i would get those.

sdf76
21-12-2009, 02:56 AM
i would say thick newspaper is cheap, easy to replace and helps deaden the sound-sue:wave:

Mackers
21-12-2009, 01:07 PM
Rubber matting - it's waterproof, will deaden any sound and if it's nice and thick, your bunny won't be able to pick it up and chew it! Try an equine supplier.

Kermit
21-12-2009, 01:12 PM
Vinyl? If you go to a carpet store they may have some offcuts.
Or poundland sell the stickyback Vinyl Tiles.

beki
22-12-2009, 07:24 PM
thanks for the tips :) the megazorb is definaetly coming out they have thrown it everywhere! i have a underbed storage crate to put that in for them.

Tried the carpet tiles form pound shop, they didn't stick at all to my hutch :( i might look at rubber matting or vinyl floor though :)

milly100
23-12-2009, 07:34 PM
I would strongly recommend vet bed. I use it in my dog cage and it is absorbant and muffles the noise. I got mine off ebay for a very reasonable price.

~ Cat ~
23-12-2009, 07:36 PM
My buns ripped Vet Bed to bits!

I use layers of newspaper and if you have a Wilkos we sell carpet mats for about 72p? They are brill!

milly100
23-12-2009, 07:40 PM
At first Blackie nibbled the edges of the vet bed but he doesn't bother at all now and it has lasted well considering how much its been washed.

Hopper
28-12-2009, 01:54 PM
I would strongly recommend vet bed. I use it in my dog cage and it is absorbant and muffles the noise. I got mine off ebay for a very reasonable price.

I tried vet bed but found getting the hay out of it a nightmare.

I used fleece flooring when I had mine indoors in a cage and used bull dogs to hold it down.

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa159/Staffiemam/Rabbits/Habitat/rabhab1.jpg

VickiP
28-12-2009, 01:58 PM
How about some lino - to hell with the neighbours - just say it's you banging that you have a nervous tick and need to stamp every now and again, that should get rid of them :lol::lol: just kidding. Lino should work. x

Hopper
28-12-2009, 01:59 PM
How about some lino - to hell with the neighbours - just say it's you banging that you have a nervous tick and need to stamp every now and again, that should get rid of them :lol::lol: just kidding. Lino should work. x

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Elena
29-12-2009, 10:58 PM
We've put a wooden base at the bottom of ours with lino on top and then battens of wood round the sides. We have something similar resting on 'beams' halfway up but without the lino.

georgie_f
29-12-2009, 11:05 PM

LOL! :lol: Agree with that! Besides, if your neighbours aren't rabbitty people, they'd probably never suspect that a little bunny was capable of making such a row anyway! ;)

I use lino in my shed. I also have a B&Q carpet runner mat which always washes up well and is lovely and snuggly (I sit on it myself when I'm in the shed! Bunnies have to wait their turn! :lol: ).

thursday
30-12-2009, 01:42 PM
A tip with dog crates is to put something like a blanket *underneath* the metal tray, between it and the crate. A lot of the noise can come from the tray clanging on the cage slats on the bottom.

Hopper
30-12-2009, 03:04 PM
A tip with dog crates is to put something like a blanket *underneath* the metal tray, between it and the crate. A lot of the noise can come from the tray clanging on the cage slats on the bottom.

Thats a good idea, never thought of that!

beki
02-01-2010, 08:41 PM
thanks for all the tips :) lol about the lino, i would actually get great satisfaction out of annoying the neighbours they are really loud themselves! lol!

I currently have a thick blanket down but ruby has started to eat it so i will see if i can get myself a bit of lino. Good tip about the blanket beneath the tray, i will try that too :)

parsnipbun
02-01-2010, 09:02 PM

We did this when we got ours - we used the cardboard that the crate came in! and kept the other bits and used them after a few months when the old bits got tatty.

kathryn773
02-01-2010, 09:06 PM
I have put fleece between the tray and the crate frame on my dog crate .