• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Cold house bunnies?

Danielle84

Mama Doe
Just a little worried about our buns being cold. They are indoors and have the whole of our spare room. The room has no heating in there, but there is a mattress along one of the walls that must insulate it somehow. There are also rugs over the laminate floor which will insulate too.

Myself and OH do feel a little cold in there when we go in (although i know we don't have any fur...well i don't anyway :lol:)

I know that loads of bunnies are quite happy outdoors, but obviously ours aren't used to the cold.

Any thoughts on whether we should do something?

(don't trust a water bottle in there as they would probably chew through it!)

I'm sure they're fine :)

I would measure the temperature, but I imagine it's not below 10deg C. If that's the room they are used to the temperature will be normal for them.

this worries me, too. i don't leave heating on during the day, so the buns are in a cold room! but, its the living room, so in the evening for a couple of hours, its warmer. they seem to like it and have managed so far, but i don't want to make them ill.

I imagine though if they are used to it being a bit chilly, they will get some form of a winter coat. We didn't have heating on at night up til a few nights ago and Charlies fur got a bit thicker and he's fine when the heating isnt on :)

I'm worrying about my two now that the boiler has broken :( It's been 6 degrees according to the thermostat all day today, and only slightly warmer at 7 degrees yesterday. They're used to about 11 or 12, but not 6 :(

Maybe stuff a big cardboard box or carrier with straw for them? :)

We have our heating on constantly so the buns never notice a temp change in the house. Im sure your babies will be ok :love: xXx

They have lots of tubes in there and a big cardboard box with hay inside to munch and keep them warm! They do seem ok, but this morning they were huddled up inside the box. Just don't want them to squash up all day/ night rather than running around getting exercise!

Thanks for all the replies, i think Timmy has a big winter coat as he's much fluffier than he used to be! I hope all your bunnies are ok!

my heating has been on all day, im torn on whether to leave it on or put it back onto timer :?:?

not sure if its the cold thats put Alvin into stasis again or if its his teeth :?

wish i knew the answers :(

what did you decide.. heating on or off??

Louie stays in the kitchen/conservatory at night with no heat on. Feels chilly to me but he seems fine. Has got a cardboard box full of hay and a hooded cat bed so can have a snuggle if he feels a bit cold :D

My bunnies are also in a non-heated room with two external walls. We leave the door open as they are allowed to run on the landing too so a little heat gets in there. I am in there right now :lol: It does get chilly in here but it doesn't worry them

We did have no heating in Biscuit's room, but it has got to the stage that she was spending lots of time downstairs with us in a lovely warm room then being put back in a freezing cold one.

I have now put her radiator on, and at mo it is on perm, so about 16oc at night and up to 19oc during day.

Rabbits don't like it any warmer than 210c

She is now nice and toasty

I'm sure the cold weather may have contributed to Biscuit's stasis last week :cry:

Hoping for a stress, stasis free Xmas.

Hope Alvin is ok :wave:

yup the vet even said today its a very real possibility and thinking back it happened last time we had snow too.. i will keep my heating on all the time now sod the cost :lol::lol:

yup the vet even said today its a very real possibility and thinking back it happened last time we had snow too.. i will keep my heating on all the time now sod the cost :lol::lol:

Same here, not looking forward to our heating bill, :lol: I left Biscuit scretched out flat this morning looking very contented while I went out and had to defrost my car.

I want to be a bunny

i have the heating on all the time. bisc gets so cold so he has the heatpad at night aswell.

our house is draughty which is the main problem. it's horrible and downstairs is just one big room.

i have been leaving the heating on about 18 at night, and sometimes have it up to 25 in the day.

it never feels warm in here though. :(

i have the heating on all the time. bisc gets so cold so he has the heatpad at night aswell.

our house is draughty which is the main problem. it's horrible and downstairs is just one big room.

i have been leaving the heating on about 18 at night, and sometimes have it up to 25 in the day.

it never feels warm in here though. :(

We are renting and don't have double glazing, we had to put mats against the front door last night as the wind was howelling through the gaps brrrr

we have noone living either side at the mo so my house never seems to warm up neither.. i need neighbours to get my bills down :lol::lol::lol:

We are renting and don't have double glazing, we had to put mats against the front door last night as the wind was howelling through the gaps brrrr

we are renting aswell and the draughts that come through the patio doors and the front door are ridiculous. we have put those draught excluder things round all the patio door and windows, we have a quilt at the front door and on the hall floor! and it is still awful! :(

the doors are obv both in the same room as we only have one room anyway downstairs! it is so horrible! :(

Back