• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Probably a stupid Question re Porridge

Margret

Warren Scout
I have never given a rabbit porridge before. How do you make it for them? Would instant porridge made with some water be ok. I know you wouldn'ty give it regular, but wondered with it being so cold, could it be given as a treat....there is no saying she would like it. Sorry to be so ignorant.

I wouldn't use the instant stuff (it could be fine but I don't know!).
I just mix a few normal porridge oats with water and microwave it till all the water is absorbed, then either mix it with a little cold water or wait for it to cool down. I've got it down to quite an art :lol:
You can also mash banana in it. Mine like that...

i don't know much about anything, but i think there might be a problem with instant podge as it has milk and sugars already in the mix, and they're bad for bunnies. :)

I don't give it to healthy buns but I do use it for buns that aren't eating properly or need to gain some weight.

I just buy a bag of pure porridge oats, add water and microwave. Stir it well and leave it until its lukewarm. If they really need tempting I add some banana or small amount of pure honey.

:wave:

when i was 12 i had a bunny (who lived til i was 22) he used to get porridge regularly, when i had it, and i didn;t know they couldn't have milk! so he had milk in it, he also had toast crusts with marmite on! :oops: (bad mummy). he never had probs though and lived to the ripe old age of 10! (not that i would plan on giving my current bunnies milk but i didn't know back then)

Just plain oats would be fine, mixed with warm water if you want to make a porridge. My two are happy eating dry oats.

I'm not sure you should give porridge/oats often though, as I only gave it to Sooty to fatten her up after she'd lost weight when she was ill.

Back