• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Need some advice re frisky bunny

AilsaDS

Warren Scout
I adopted a bunny yesterday from a rescue centre & he hasn't been neutered yet due to his poor condition when he was rescued (he wouldn't have survived the anaesthetic).
Tbh I didn't think there'd be any real problems & expected that I'd have to protect Phillip from my two 7 month old kittens (both neutered), but I was wrong!
I had to pick Phillip up because he'd pinned down one of my kittens and was trying to hump him; poor Corky just froze, he didn't know what to do; & Phillip wasn't too pleased that I picked him up either, he was trying to kick with his back legs. I put him back in his cage & he just 'flopped' but was trembling.
I was really hoping it would go a little better than this as Phillip was really enjoying running around & chasing the kittens.. he was binkying too.

Should I keep them seperated (kittens & bunny) until Phillip is neutered, & will it make a difference to his behaviour?

It's my 1st experience so I was a little shocked, but I guess I should have been prepared for it lol

Hello and welcome :wave:

Is your rabbit now in a more stable condition and able to be neutered? If so, I would get him booked in asap, knock those hormones on the head!

Also, if it were me, I would keep the kittens and rabbit apart for the time being until the rabbit has been neutered.

Thanks for the advice Lily, I've phoned the rescue centre to see if I could get a neutering voucher & instead they're going to book him in (as we use the same vets) for Tuesday with some other animals they are getting done.
The lady I spoke to suggested I take along his medical file which explains his recent history & so they can double check he's in good health for the op.

The only thing I'm a little concerned about is he keeps sneezing, but otherwise is ful of life, eating/drinking & pooing/weeing a lot, & very active and playful :?
Hopefully that is because of the new environment, & because my heating is on.. it's deep snow outside lol
I'm keeping a close eye on him anyway.

I'll keep them seperated for now, I can put Phillip in his indoor run to give him more room to play.
I was worried that my kittens might turn on him & really hurt him for his behaviour - they're very curious about him, but they're not showing any aggression towards Phillip & I want to keep it that way.

:lol::lol: sorry shouldnt laugh buns and cats often have a misconception, although baby buns makes meal to a cat a frisky buck will mount anything and everything along with spraying,

thing is cats kittens like to chase things that run away buns are just as nosy so sit still,

the sneezing could be a number of things ive got a sneezer turns out he can only have dust free hay, but its worth getting it checked out at the vets to see if there are underlieing problems and also ask to check his teeth at the same time as his neuter

you can give him a cuddly toy just watch to see if he chew some buns do other dont, both my boys used to grip there toys for dear life and pluck fluff but never ate it, if he does eat it then thats not worked, neutering really will help, i hope you can get him fit enough for i, as im afraid the problem will not go away, it may calm for a little while but then start up again

Last edited:
Another thought, was your rabbit being kept on woodshavings? If so, this may account for the sneezing as Louie was on shavings when we got him and sneezed for a few days when we got him.

Thanks for the advice, I'll try the soft toy & see how he goes with that. He has a blanket in his cage as he won't sleep in his bed on straw & he doesn't chew that, but he does like to bunch it up.
The only problem with the blanket so far is I found it in his water bowl this morning so he had no water to drink.. silly boy :lol:

I got him from the RSPCA & they mainly used newspaper, with dust free wood shavings for his litter tray & straw bedding.
I did try wood pellets in his litter tray but he wouldn't use it so I've also bought wood shavings for now, but I hope to gradually change to pellets.

He was seen by the vet last Friday, the day I collected him, because I wanted to talk to the centre's vet about his long term care because of his gi stasis (he had an enlarged liver too), & the vet checked his teeth then.

I'll check out the dust free hay though as his current feed isn't dust free.

In one way I'm thrilled that he's feeling well enough to be frisky & I know it's just what rabbits do.. but I also feel very sorry for my kittens too because they have no idea how to react to him.

I feel a lot better now though, I was in such a panic last night LOL :oops:

Last edited:
Louie LOVES my cat, wont leave her alone but, because she is a full grown older cat, she just smacks him round the head when she has had enough of him!

Back