• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Vibes for Hope please... I'm scared I might lose her U/D Still with us!

crysta

Alpha Buck
I picked Hope up today to check bottoms [I do it everyday, don't ask me why] and she's painfully thin. I've taken her away from Faith for now and given her some porridge which she's licking at off and on, and she's nibbled her way through a sprout.

She's eating okay, and her eyes are bright, she's just so very thin, and I'm terrified I'll lose her suddenly. Clover and Blackberry were bright eyed and lively right up until they died in the night three or four months apart. I really don't want to lose a third bunny this year. :(

Any suggestions what else I can do to try and bring her weight up would be appreciated too - I'm praying it's just a case of Faith being a pig and scoffing all the pellets.

Last edited:
Perhaps you can book an appointment with the vets. I'm sorry, I don't know what else to suggest. It is good that she's eating. Have you tried giving her barley rings? You can get a big bag from a farm quite cheap.
Sending lots of vibes for your little girl xxxx

I too would say to book her in at the vets for them to check her over, its best to be safe :) Porridge is good for putting on weight, you may need to up her pellets aswell. Maybe she wasnt getting her fair share? I would panacur too, but im sure the vets will advise this :)

Sending lots of vibes for little Hope xXx

Has she had her teeth checked she could have a dental spur, I think it is worth having her looked at by your vet before she loses any more weight.

I'm probably overreacting a bit, but as I said, I lost Clover and Blackberry without any warning during the night both times so I'm terrified Hope's going to do the same.

She's stuffing herself on cold porridge at the moment, and dunking her ears in it. :roll: I think I'm just panicking because it's winter and even though she's an indoor bun I'm afraid it might get too cold for her with no fat on her bones.

She's going to the vet if she doesn't improve soon, but with her eating and being lively and nosy I'm hoping she's not ill, just being starved by her fat-bottom sister. :lol:

I have the same problem with Pipkin at the moment; Ruby has been eating all his food and he's really thin :(
I'm seperating them for feeding and he's put a bit of weight on. I'm also going to panacur them just in case.
They're outside rabbits and I'm worried about the cold.
I feed Pipkin porridge with banana and give him a few extra handfulls of pellets throughout the day. I think it's best to try and put weight on them gradually.
I'm sure Hope will be fine. Keep an eye on her weight over the next couple of days and make sure it doesn't go down at all.

So far we're good, she's been picking at the porridge [I don't think she knows what to do with it], and I've brought the small run inside so I can keep her and Faith separate for a little bit but both of them still have space to move.

My main concern now is the tiny little hard pellety poos - what does this mean?

So far we're good, she's been picking at the porridge [I don't think she knows what to do with it], and I've brought the small run inside so I can keep her and Faith separate for a little bit but both of them still have space to move.

My main concern now is the tiny little hard pellety poos - what does this mean?

Reduced gut motility which is a 'warning sign' that all is not well.

Please take her to your Vet tomorrow. Weightloss should ALWAYS merit a Vet check, especially if it is happening despite the fact the Bun is still eating.

Sometimes weightloss is the only symptom of an underlying illness.

Sending vibes xx

It does sound to me like she needs a dental. Often, a bun will still be eating, despite the dental spurs, but the lack of correct chewing means the food is not broken down properly, and therefore not absorbed. That could be why she's losing weight.

I'd get her seen ASAP if I were you, for if she has got spurs she could deteriorate rapidly. Good luck!

Weightloss can mean a lot of things and after losing my first rabbit Poppy it's something I would now always get vet checked sooner than later...she was losing weight for a little while, the vet put it down to her partner being a faster eater, after a bit they agreed to do blood tests but later the same day Poppy died fitting and screaming :( :(

I'm not trying to scare you, just to demonstrate how they can be poorlier than they seem sometimes. hopefully your bunny has nothing sinister going on though and will be fine...I'm sending her lots of vibes :)

Not good news. :( It's her teeth.

The vets have taken her in but they say there's a very high risk that she may not survive the GA.

I don't know what to think.

I hope she'll be ok!
Pipkin had to have a dental when he was all skinny and he came round from the anaesthetic just fine but I was soooo worried.

Vibes for Hope.

Well she's back. The vets fed her before they went to do the dental and she scarfed the whole bowl down so they say that while she's still eating okay, we should leave her dental and concentrate on putting weight on her.

She's in the danger zone apparently and they're really not happy about putting her under, so we've got a week to get some more weight on her. I've been told to give her unlimited pellets and anything else she'll eat to try and fatten her up, so I'm breaking out the porridge oats in a minute for another bowl.

I just wish she'd eat some hay... :?

Hope is out of danger. :D

She's put on a fair bit of weight and is no longer skin and bones. She still needs a dental but she's out of the crisis point. She goes for her dental on tuesday.

In fact, I got a few flops out of her! [Hope is NOT a floppy bunny. Faith is.] She flopped when I put a fresh bowl of pellets in. It made me grin.

Back