• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Im sad- why are people killing bunnies online?

Jemma&Theo

Mama Doe
Hi

Im a bit upset and needed to vent. Been watching videos on a well known 'tube' website- . I was looking at the house bunnys dreaming and cleaning cats and cute things when I looked on the 'related videos' and there are loads of cruel people setting their dogs and PYTHONS on tame pet rabbits.

Its so sad because the poor tame bunny starts licking the python- obviously in someones back garden- then it kills him.And there are HUNDREDS of these videos. Whats wrong with people? Whats wrong with the website for not vetting these videos and banning them?

Argh. Im sad and angry- im Sangry

:cry: Who knows why people do this I think they are psycho's, you can't reason why with this type of thing you won't find a logical answer apart from they are sick in the head - I agree with you about it being allowed on the internet - in the wrong hands the internet is most definately a vehicle for horrific and sick/twisted things to be broadcast-imagine children seeing it!! Worryingly it might even encourage other 'sick-like minded people to give it go - it's disgusting - don't look at anything like that and report it if you do - thats all you can do for now :evil:

I clicked on one of these videos and it upset me so much. I couldn't get the picture of the sweet black and white bunny - and the snake - out of my head. I don't know what You Tube's stance on it is?

Last edited:
I clicked on one of these videos and it upset me so much. I couldn't get the picture of the sweet black and white bunny - and the snake. I don't know what You Tube's stance on it is?

I wish i had never looked. we should all flag them...

In the UK it's illegal so youtube should remove it. I don't think it is in the states though. Their site does say not to upload animal abuse though so it may come under that.

This is the very reason you should NEVER offer a bunny or any small pet for that matter as "free to good home". Unfortunately this means free food and entertainment for some evil reptile owners.! Poor rabbits passed on to that fate:cry:

ETA. The owners being the evil party not the reptiles!

To be fair if you were unlucky enough to have a really stubborn non-feeder or an import from the US that you hadn't yet converted to defrost sometimes there is no choice but live feed; although I certainly don't condone using a pet-bred bunny OR putting a video on the internet, and there are lots of methods available to try before live feed.

I'm sure most reptile keepers are in no way callous enough to regard feeding their snake like this entertainment, and its unfortunate that there are those out there that are, giving the rest a bad name.

Also it is NOT illegal to feed live in the UK, as long as no unnecessary suffering is caused, although animal welfare organisations discourage it. Generally it is a last resort.

It is also very dangerous for the snake aswell. Not so much with Rabbits but definitely with rodents (they often eat away at the snake if he/she is not hungry enough to eat) so it is sick and cruel on both counts!!

Although I dont really agree with using domesticated (i.e. pet) rabbits for food and I think videoing it is abit wrong.

But I know a guy who breeds snakes and because he has so many he has no choice but to also breed rats (and small rabbits) for their food. If works out cheaper for him.

But I (well my OH, i didnt have the guts) had to feed my Royal Python live mice when I first got him. He just wouldnt eat otherwise.It was horrible to watch such a beautiful animal waste away. :( Now he is on de-frosted rats. But he will eventually go onto rabbits. I dont like it but I love him to bits and its only natural for him.

But still, I dont agree with filming it for entertainment. For educational purposes, maybe. But like Kloy said, it is a last resort. But I understand this type of thing is more common in the USA(?)

P.S Please dont hate me or critisise me for my view on this. Its difficult to strike a balance when you own both rabbits and snakes!

Last edited:
:( - I could never, ever keep reptiles. I love my mice and rats. Feeding any animal live is wrong in my opinion - why is a snakes' life so much more important than the animal being fed to it? :?

The animal *will* suffer when it is live fed. Mice and rats as well as rabbits are lovely animals with personalities and feelings.

I do sort of respect people that breed their own rats / mice ethically to feed their pet reptiles though (not talking about live feeding here though!) as this way they know they aren't being kept horrendously and aren't being bred back-to-back - people who breed their own aren't supporting rodent farms either which is where most frozen rodents you buy from pet shops are from. So if they aren't suffering when they are fed their parents certainly suffer by being bred and bred in horrible conditions until they die from it.

*Gets off soap box*

I wouldn't watch any such videos but if I came across any I would flag them.

I disagree that the rat/mouse/bun will suffer. A snake strike is surely a whole lot faster then some of the traps out there that people use. At any rate to ensure the safety of the snake you would supervise the feed closely, and probably remove the 'prey' after about 10mins if the snake isn't interested.

And no-one is saying that a snakes life is more important; BUT the majority of snakes are carnivorous and it would be neglectful to not feed them because YOU can't stomach the thought. It's like people who want to feed their cats and dogs vegetarian diets because that is how they choose to live; why buy an animal that isn't herbivorous if YOU can't hack it.

I love my snakey babies AND my buns, and because I don't like the idea of feeding rabbit whilst I have two pet buns, I wouldn't buy a snake that would get large enough to warrant feeding rabbit during their life times.

I disagree that the rat/mouse/bun will suffer. A snake strike is surely a whole lot faster then some of the traps out there that people use. At any rate to ensure the safety of the snake you would supervise the feed closely, and probably remove the 'prey' after about 10mins if the snake isn't interested.

And no-one is saying that a snakes life is more important; BUT the majority of snakes are carnivorous and it would be neglectful to not feed them because YOU can't stomach the thought. It's like people who want to feed their cats and dogs vegetarian diets because that is how they choose to live; why buy an animal that isn't herbivorous if YOU can't hack it.

I love my snakey babies AND my buns, and because I don't like the idea of feeding rabbit whilst I have two pet buns, I wouldn't buy a snake that would get large enough to warrant feeding rabbit during their life times.

:wave: I know it's personal choice but, I cannot for the life of me what is appealing about a snake - let alone as a pet. Does the snake actually interact in any way apart from slithering around, eating and shedding it's skin and please don't kid yourself about emotional attachment. My personal opinion (not wishing to be offensive as I know it's personal choice) but, I really do think animals that like to eat 'live' things are not 'domesticated' and therefore not suitable pets. I have no objection to them being kept in zoo's etc where there are experts to look after them aswell. Just don't get it myself but, then I am biased I think they are vile.:?

Back