• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My beautiful mice....*cage pics*

Hanlou

Mama Doe
Well I thought people might be interested in seeing some pics of some mice cage set-ups - especially for anyone interested in adopting some of Cottonmather's beautiful meeces. *Shameless plug* :lol:

A Savic Freddy cage (usually a rat cage) makes a fantastic mouse cage - here's a few past set-ups of mine:

P1030336.jpg

P1030337.jpg

P1030390.jpg

P1030503.jpg

P1050443.jpg

As my numbers went up (I rehomed 10 mice from a good friend who loves them very much but found herself in an impossible situation that meant she had to give up her mice) my mice moved into a converted indoor aviary. It's a Ferplast Duetto. I realise it may seem OTT to many but the mice love it, they really do!! At first they lived in the top half but as I got more mice I 'opened up' the whole thing for them by connecting the two halves using tubes.

Whole cage:

P1050894.jpg

Top half:

P1050884.jpg

Bottom half:

P1050887.jpg

P1050888.jpg

P1050889.jpg

Tubes:

P1050893.jpg

In case anyone needed proof that mice like to climb......

P1050878.jpg

P1050816.jpg

P1050774.jpg

P1050531.jpg

P1050504.jpg

P1050450.jpg

P1030498.jpg

Hope you like xxx Any questions please feel free to ask!

Fab! But mice in cages :? Didn't work to well with my brothers mice Kenny and Cartman

It's far better than a tank - tanks restrict movement and are bad health-wise too. I've never had an escapee and the vast majority of my mice are rather scrawny rescues - or they were when they first came here anyway! If they are put in a *suitable* cage when they are big enough (wouldn't put mice in a cage until they're about 6 weeks old) there shouldn't be a problem.

If your brothers' mice were both male then you could have had a problem anyway as adult males often fight - especially if the cage isn't big enough.

Bar spacing shouldn't be any more than 9mm and some cages have 'weak' bars that move apart easily. Not so with Savic cages and ones such as the Marchioro Rene / Jack 72 cages - these are sturdy bars and won't move. But some cages do have 'weak points' such as gaps around the doors where door connectors don't fit perfectly to the cage - Freddy cages don't have this problem - but some do so that's something to be aware of. :)

Thank you for the lovely comments xx I'm fairly passionate about animals' of all sizes having enough space to live their lives as fully as possible.

Last edited:
My brother mice were girls (despite the names :roll::lol:). We tried them in several different cages, but they kept squishing through the bars :? We ended up having to keep them in a fish tank.

My mouse Taz had a mainly plastic tank but it had some bars (apparently it was suitable for mice) but he managed to squeeze out too. So he also ended up having to have a fish tank.

I don't feel i was criticizing your choice of housing, it really does look fantasic :love: We haven't had mice for some years now, so haven't had experience with newer versions of mouse accomodation.

I love your pics and totally agree that the more space the better. My girls have a huge cage and I love giving them exciting things to play with.

Lucky mice :love: I know nothing about mice but their set up looks absolutely brilliant!! They look very spoilt :lol: xXx

Great pics :love: I'm so pleased some of my babies are going to live in your mousie paradise :D
After having seen Hanlou's duetto, I got one too & will be doing it up for mine :) got a feeling I'll be spending my christmas money on ropes and shelves :lol:
I also got a couple of freddies off Hanlou (and watching another on ebay ;)) Which I've converted into a tower and they can be connected. I'll probably use them for boys, as they can be separated if I get any fighting...

That is absolutely wonderful. I am so happy there are people like you out there that give their small pets the maximum space they can :love::love:
I bet it is fantastic fun to watch them with all that space and they look so happy and healthy they must love it.

Small animals do matter just as much as others as you have shown here.
Thats made my day :D

Awwww what lovely comments! :oops: :D

Thank you.

Well they do absolutely love it! Even the 'oldies' go up and down the tubes. I should share these pics with you - snuggly mice! :love:

P1050667.jpg

P1050668.jpg

........ I never have to worry about them being chilly - if I place my hand anywhere near their 'mouse-pile' I can feel the heat rising from them! xx

Awwww what lovely comments! :oops: :D

Thank you.

Well they do absolutely love it! Even the 'oldies' go up and down the tubes. I should share these pics with you - snuggly mice! :love:

P1050667.jpg

P1050668.jpg

........ I never have to worry about them being chilly - if I place my hand anywhere near their 'mouse-pile' I can feel the heat rising from them! xx

Oh my godd :shock::love::love::love:

Back