• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What respiratory problems can bunnies get?

Lillian

Warren Veteran
I know there's snuffles, are there others?

Can snuffles present itself without runny nose/nasal discharge?

Lower Respiratory Tract Infections often present with no nasal discharge

Sometimes there will be 'dry sneezes'. The Bun is likely to have an increased respiratory effort and/or rate. They will not maintain their weight but may continue to eat well. In severe cases they will be reluctant to lie down and will extend/raise their head/neck or prop there front end up on something.
Mouth breathing is a grave prognostic sign

By "The Bun is likely to have an increased respiratory effort and/or rate." do you mean like breathing quicker than normal? :oops:

pearls illness seemed to be respirtary (sp) but its a heart issue so maybe watch out for a poorly heart as well as other breathing illnesses...

pearls illness seemed to be respirtary (sp) but its a heart issue so maybe watch out for a poorly heart as well as other breathing illnesses...

I was just reading that respiratory like illnesses can actually heart problems :?

I was just reading that respiratory like illnesses can actually heart problems :?

:(:(:( yep no snot or any reason to be breathing bad.. a feeling all werent right is all i had... but it appeared to be some sort of respiritary (sp) problem at first... even harder to prove all is wrong because theres no bloody snot :evil::evil: hope none of your bunnies are poorly hun xxx

:(:(:( yep no snot or any reason to be breathing bad.. a feeling all werent right is all i had... but it appeared to be some sort of respiritary (sp) problem at first... even harder to prove all is wrong because theres no bloody snot :evil::evil: hope none of your bunnies are poorly hun xxx

Oh dear, is Pearl ok now? How did the vets determine is was heart related not respiratory?

My Pooka is poorly. He keeps making snorty noises, its not constantly just when hes grooming etc. He just seems really quiet, doesn't move about much but he is eating/drinking/going to toilet normally. Our vets don't open weekends, the emergency weekend vets is several towns across from us :evil: So i need to know whats best to do with him until monday morning :? He doesn't seem seriously ill, but he's definately got something wrong with him.. that seems to be respiratory related.

shes stable... on 4 different drugs tho and she will die because of it :cry::cry::cry::cry:

but it was from July that i noticed.... the old vet missed it totally :evil: the new vet only had to listen to her heart and then look at the xray from July to determine it was heart related.. depends a lot on vets experience i think... if the antibiotics dont help keep on at them hun you know your bun and dont let em fob you off.. i did a bit and will have to live with that :cry::cry:

have you seen lionels thread? hes just been diagnosed with phenumonia after months of not knowing what was up :cry:..

i really hope your vets find the cause sooner rather than later and treatment helps :(

From Pooka's other problems with his eyes I'd guess he has Pasteurellosis which is now also effecting his respiratory tract. Personally I would want to get him to a Vet today as *if* it is Pasteurellosis he needs aggressive abx therapy if he is to stand any chance of survival :cry:

He is a breed that *might* be prone to cardiac disease. But given what other problems you have said he has then I think Pasteurella is a more likely suspect.
Of course I am not a Vet and I have only seen pictures of Pooka. So I can only base my thoughts on what you have posted about his other symptoms.

I would strongly advise you to get him to a Vet today. Has he seen a Vet since you have had him ?

Back