• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

why can't rabbits and guinea pigs be housed together ?

They have different diets
Rabbits often bully the guinea pigs (vice versa in some rare cases)
Rabbit can kill the guines pig (vice versa in some rare cases)
They cant communicate as they speak "different languages" (behavior wise etc)

^That.

+ Some rabbits are carriers of a bacteria that's fatal to guinea pigs. You can't tell whether a rabbit carries it or not since it doesn't harm them.

They can easily injure the pig, not because they're angry with it, it may easily be by accident since rabbits enjoy jumping around a lot, if they accidentally hit the guinea pig it would get several fractured bones and most likely have to be put to sleep:cry:

They have different diets
Rabbits often bully the guinea pigs (vice versa in some rare cases)
Rabbit can kill the guines pig (vice versa in some rare cases)
They cant communicate as they speak "different languages" (behavior wise etc)

Just to add to this (hope you dont mind!):
- Piggies do not produce their own Vitamin C unlike Rabbits so there for they cannot have the same diet.
- If a rabbit kicks a guinea pig (even accidentally) that is what could kill them.
- Guinea pigs are much more vocal and will sqeak and talk, buns are more subtle. Hence the "different languages".

:wave:

When i was in the vets (months ago when one of my buns were neutered) a lady came in with a rabbit. She had been keeping the rabbit with the guinea pig and the pig had damaged the rabbits eye :cry: It looked so sore.

Just to add to this (hope you dont mind!):
- Piggies do not produce their own Vitamin C unlike Rabbits so there for they cannot have the same diet.
- If a rabbit kicks a guinea pig (even accidentally) that is what could kill them.
- Guinea pigs are much more vocal and will sqeak and talk, buns are more subtle. Hence the "different languages".

:wave:

Thank you :D i didn't explain what i meant very well :oops:

Back