• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Frozen water bowls - what do you do?

angeleyes

Warren Veteran
So this morning Liam and Niamhs water bowl was frozen to a block of ice :shock: These 2 will not drink out of a bottle so giving them one is not an option, bottles all seem to be ok with bubble wrap around them but how do you stop a bowl from freezing? Any ideas anyone? Thanks

Sit the bowl in the hutch rather than a run.
Insulate hutch as much as possible.
If in the run (like mine) sit the bowl on a layer of hay and wrap hay round the side of the bowl.
Put the bowl on top of a hot snugglesafe.

Just a few suggestions I can think of.

Ronnie and Lols bowl was frozen like a block of ice this morning too :cry: I think im going to put it on top of a snugglesafe tonight :)

Im sure someone on here said previously to put a small ping pong ball in the water? :? Cant remember who though

I thought about a ping pong ball, but then i figured there is no draft in the shed to keep the ball moving, so it would just be a frozen bowl of water with a ball sticking out :lol:

I have just started putting a snugglesafe under mine too! It seems to be working a treat. I have also made sure the water is slightly tepid, so it keeps it to a nice temperature.

The bowls in the foster hutches are fine but my guys are in a shed, I could try putting hay all around it but these 2 will eat it all away before it does any good :lol: They will probably try to eat the snugglesafe too but i might give that a go tonight, its just too cold :( Its -2 out now and i am struggling to get the cleaning out done as i keep freezing up :shock:

I just change my bowls twice a day. They're both in insulated sheds but they are frozen solid first thing in the morning. So first thing in the morning, I give them a fresh bowl of tepid water and then last thing at night, they get another fresh bowl of lukewarm water. Aside from the snugglesafe (which I don't have), it's about the best you can do.

I have a bottle cover but that hasn't seemed to work too well the past couple of nights; it still gets frozen up.
I've just been changing the water before I go to bed and then when I feed them in the morning, and throughout the day if I notice it's frozen. Mine have been eating the snow at the moment as well (crazy things...) so I figure they're at least getting some moisture (most of the run is covered up but they have a little section at the end that is open and the snow falls through.

Wild bunnies don't have access to water all the time, so I'm sure they'll be find as long as the water is topped up as often as possible.

I have just bought a greenhouse heater for my sheds,stopped all water freezing.It was -8c here last night too.

Back