• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

sticky poops help

Shellypops

Wise Old Thumper
Bobby has had a few sticky poops today she i four and a half months old and she has a pellet mix and plenty of hay, I am worried I am feeding her too many pellets:shock:

I am a new owner and really wanna get it right, she seems happy enough binkying about, and i am not sure whether I should be feeding her veg yet, she eats a few dandilion leaves.

I feel a little silly not knowing, but there is so many differing opinions on the web I am confused. She does normal poops too

I think sticky poops indicate lack of fibre so she needs to be eating more hay. Which brand of hay do you use, you need to make sure that it is Timothy hay which is rich in fibre.
I am not sure what age it is best to start feeding veg.
Be careful not to feed too many dandelions as they act as a diraretic.
When you say a pellet mix, do you mean that you use a cereal mix which includes pellets? If so I would recommed changing her over SLOWLEY to a pellet only food. Such as Science Selective or Excel.
Start by including just a few of the new pellet in with her current mix and over a period of about 2 weeks start increasing the new pellet and weening her off the old.

Thanks a lot, I am off to buys some timothy hey as my boyfriend has been getting meadow hey. which I had a feeling was the wrong stuff... will get some of the food you mentioned as well. Thanks really appreciate the info:wave:

You are welcome :)

Meadow hay is not a 'problem' but is not the best hay for bunnies as they really need the extra fibre which it does lack.

I would not worry as long as she is still eating and pooping then it can wait until monday.
A very good hay (Depends on your budget) is OXBROW TIMOTHY AND OXBROW ORCHARD GRASS!

Thanks will be popping on after work, I bought some excel and tried mising it with her old food, but she ate all the new stuff and left the old stuff, :shock: is that okay??? she seems to prefer it which I did not expect, should I continue trying to mix it? as she eats all the Excel and then tips her bowl over with the old mix.

The hay is bought and she seems to prefer that also:p

I would continue to mix it and leave it in there for her so she has no choice but to eat it and just slowley decrease the old food, it is not good to do anything too quickly as it can shock the system.

Yep have done, she obviousley didn't like the old food as much... but have left it in there, and the poops are back to normal, also she is eating all of her fecals... so good news all round thanks racylou, you have been AMAZING merry xmas xx:wave::D:)

Aww I am happy that I could help. Glad to hear we have good poops again! :D Take care Shellypops and have a lovely Christmas! xx

Back