• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Playhouse frozen! Need lots of suggestions

Cornishlass

Mama Doe
HELP! Went to see to Smudge last night (and again this morning) and his water bowl was frozen solid! HOW can I heat he playhouse? He has lino on the floor, a litter tray full of hay, a washing up bowl ful of hay to nestle in, a stool, his toys and his food/water container in there. I obviously can't put any heating with wires - he's a chewer! Don't want fire hazards, just don't want him to freeze to death like the rabbit my family had when I was 10. :( Smudge is my friend and he is thoroughly spoilt but I do want to keep him warm - he can't come in the house - hubby severely allergic.

What about an old-fashioned stone hot water bottle? Obviously you would need to make sure it was not excessively hot in case Bunny spilt it, but it could be something warm to cuddle up to.

You don't mention if he has a 'house' to go into overnight if he chooses, e.g. a wooden box or similar which is full of hay and is enclosed over the top. Hay in bowls and so on won't trap the warmth from his body as it rises. You could even put in a sturdy cardboard box and stuff with hay. I don't think you need to heat the playhouse to be honest, but he does need some where to go if he feels cold whilst he is sleeping and not running around, as he is a single bunny. You could also invest in a snuggle pad, which is heated in the microwave and then stays warm for a good few hours. This could be put under the hay last thing at night. If he has been outside all winter then he will have a good thick coat, so don't bring him inside for a temporary period otherwise he will be more likely to suffer from the cold once he returns outside.

Last edited:
Have you got a Snugglesafe pad?

https://www.thehayexperts.co.uk/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=snugglesafe&osCsid=ulotn9019u9m2p9gcckp39aia4&x=33&y=4

We use these. Bunnies can choose to sit on them, but at the very least you can put one under the water bowl.

A lovely big cardboard box stuffed with hay to give them the option of getting right in the middle works too.

Insulation on the inside of the roof will keep any heat in. Available from Wickes for about £13 for a big roll.http://www.wickes.co.uk/Thermal-Insulation-Foil-Roll/invt/210022

Try putting warm water in the bowl when you go to see him - it will take longer to freeze and as long as it's luke warm it won't be a risk to Smudge (in fact, he'll probably like it!).

Has Smudge got a hidey hole? A small space stuffed with hay will give him somewhere to snuggle up overnight. A cardboard box will work well.:)

If you're still concerned, a snugglesafe heatpad will help keep him warm overnight. Good luck!

For my sheds I have a really thick flooring of polystyrene as the first layer, covered by carpet turned the wrong way over, covered with a tarp that is waterproof and stapled all the way around the edge.

I have insulation on all the walls and ceiling that is overboarded in the areas they can reach, and they all have an enclosed bed area (a small hutch would do) that is stuffed with hay.

I've put heating in mine now, but I didn't have too many frozen bowls last year.

Obviously the best form of heat they can have is a friend to snuggle up to!

Could you maybe float a pingpong ball in the bowl? I'm working on the same theory as fishponds if you know what I mean.

We have a snugglesafe which we put inside the carrier, so they can choose to go in if they are cold. The other night the water bowl partially froze over. It must have been a good few degrees warmer inside, as the water in a watering can that I had left out was frozen solid.

Thanks for replying. :love: I do hav a snugglesafe in his bowl - under thehay.I have ordered anotherfo under his water. He did have a superb wooden hidey hole but he didn't like it - never went in it - so it is now used as a "porch" - access to his run. That's why it's sooo cold - the window mesh has a tarp over it but he has coninued access toteh run thrugh this door. Will try the cardboard box idea. Thanks.

:wave: I got a heater yesterday from Argos for my shed it's quite safe as the wires are up higher than Ness can reach and it was easy to fit, it's just two brackets, my shed is near the back door so I have plugged it into an extension lead which is plugged into a safety breaker in the kitchen through the window. Doesn't look great and can't be left on overnight but, I left it on till quite late last night and then plugged it in again this morning at about 7.30am it does have a safety 'cut-out' aswell - it will shut down if it gets too hot or any electrical blip occurs. Can't have it on if I am not here though but, I don't know that I would be comfortable doing that anyway. I got mine because I saw it on a thread on here, it doesn't get red hot or anything but, does give a nice moderate heat which is just right for taking the edge of the 'damp cold' feeling - it's not making the shed really warm though which is good and madame is sitting outside anyway:roll: I think they are better equipped for the cold than we are:lol:
http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/s...00001801&langId=-1&searchTerms=tubular+heater

If you want to stick with the waterbottle, heat a house brick in the oven and put that under it.

A bowl would be better in this weather, you could float a small ball in the bowl to stop it freezing over, and if it does then the buns will be able to lick the ice. You could also use the brick idea under the bowl. If it's attatched to a run, and snow gets into the run then they will probably eat this for water.

Back