• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Exercise in the snow for bunnies

biscuitblossom

Warren Veteran
What is everyone doing about bunnies going out in the snow? Outdoor bunnies obviously!

Some of mine have runs attached to hutches so have the option of going 'indoors' if they want to, others have seperate runs which I usually put a carrier or box full of hay in for them to sit in if they want to.

The snow is about 3 inches deep in my garden and frozen after last night .....bunnies didnt go out yesterday and I'm unsure if I should put them out today. :?

Just to add they are used to be out pretty much every day and I feel really mean not putting them in runs!

Last edited:
If the snow is too deep for them to run about in, why not clear an area of snow....shovel and broom should do the job ! If you are only clearing the area the size of a run, then that'll only take a few minutes.

My daughter left the pen gate on the patio ajar this morning whilst cleaning and they both made a run for it - Fluffy headed on to the grass - loved it and lolloped about having a great time. Miffy was more reserved and just skidded about on the patio.
He loves snow and after a great run up and down the garden with me praying a fox wouldn't come out of the woods he returned home :lol:
So it was his choice to exercise in the snow! :)

my buns are currently free ranging in the snow! they have the option of going back but they are loving it! :love::love:

I dont let my buns out in rain or snow :oops:. Their shed is plenty big anyway and they all get a shot of running about in the path in the shed.

:wave: Don't know really, I don't have the dilema as such as Ness can 'choose' I just open the shed and leave it ajar for her and she chooses in or out - I did notice yesterday when it had snowed overnight, nothing much but a thin layer in the morning - she went out ran up the garden and came back 'heel flicking' and went back in but didn't come out again ! She didn't seem keen to be honest so I think if I was going to do it, I would clear up one run and just give each pair a 15 mins turn if you can once in the morn and once in the afternoon especially if there is a bit of sun they would probably like to catch a few rays:lol:

I open the shed door and they can come out if they want to. They usually come out even if it's raining so the snow doesn't really bother them. So long as they have a choice and there is somewhere dry for them then I don't see a problem.

All of mine have been out this morning- BB did the biggest binky I've ever seen!
They all have the choice though, to go back in their sheds when they've had enough, and BB headed back in after about an hour

I just open the hutch doors, if they want to go out they will, and if they want to go in they can hop back inside. Usually Harley just sticks his head in the snow to get to the grass, and has a run about.

Back