• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My rabbit's gone mad after Myxie jab!

Kittycat

Young Bun
Hi folks,

This is my first post here - I've never needed to post before because there is just so much good information already here, but today I really need your help.:(

My bunny boy, who is to be neutered after Christmas , and who is approx 15 months old had a routine trip to the vets today to get his nails trimmed and have his first Myxie jab.

All was fine. No trauma, nothing.

But once we let him out in the bathroom ( the only rabbit safe room in the house), he went a bit loopy..chasing my daughter (6) around and trying to hump her leg.He's never done this in his life before, and then he bit her whilst trying to get a grip on her.

I thought she'd maybe startled him or something, and gave my sweet bun the benefit of the doubt.
Until he did the same thing to me too! :evil: Am not impressed.

So my question is, is this normal? Does having jabs make them go mad? Is it the chemicals or is he just angry at the pain of being jabbed?
It just seems so bizarre that one jab could suddenly switch on all his sexual urges just like that.
And why is he only attacking/humping me and my daughter, and leaving the boys alone?

I knew that as long as he was unneutured, he could do this, but I didnt realise it would be so full on and aggressive.:shock:
Please help. It hurts!:(

Thanks.

Not heard of it being related to a jab before, maybe just a coincidence unless someone can let us know otherwise.

Do you have a cuddly toy he could "play" with instead of you and your daughter until you can get him neutered? It may help.

Thanks for that, bunny babe.

Was thinking that he needs something to hump urgently..but was worried that if I give him a soft toy, he'll just rip it apart and maybe eat something he shouldn't.

What kind of toys do people give for this purpose.?.:oops::oops:

Anything without small parts like plastic eyes or noses should be fine. He may well rip it apart, so keep a close eye.

I think he was probably just upset by the whole process of being taken to the vet and is just letting out some aggresion. Hopefully it will calm down soon.

Morning folks!

Well, after a night spent contained so that we could use the loo in safety, Blackberry seems a bit calmer, thankfully.

He's still trying to hump daughters leg, but hasn't tried it with me yet. He's got a teddy to play with, but doesn't seem too interested so far. But it's early days, so am hopeful.

It was just horrible when I woke up, wondering if I had a scary bun on my hands, instead of the sweet boy he usually is.

I can't help thinking that if he was that angry about going to the vets for his nails, he's going to be thrilled when he gets neutered, isn't he? :shock:

Ah well..cross that bridge when it comes.

Thanks for the help and advice - makes such a difference.:)

The sudden change of environment, even for a short time, may well have triggered hormonal behaviour - unneutered bunnies can get very territorial so it's possible that this is what has happened when he was moved from his normal 'territory'. I would say though that I think you've been very lucky to get to 15 months old without this kind of behaviour - it's far more normal for it to start around 4 months!

Santa - yikes - 4 months! Eeek! Am now feeling very grateful that he's only chosen now to get territorial.

Rachylou - Thank you so much for that link! What a great site! Have just spent far more money than was sensible..:lol: and have got him the bunny girlfriend to see him through. :love:

The ultimate plan is to get him neutured after Christmas and then get him bonded with a spayed rescue doe. But one step at a time.:)

Back