• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Which dust free hay

FudgeTort

Wise Old Thumper
In the new year I might start ordering from dust free hay direct, they are going through their bags of the pet shop version at a ridiculous rate.
Which would people recommend, I was going to buy the large bale, so soft or stalky? What are they like?
As I said, they like the dust free pet shop version, but not the timothy hay bits, they get left.

Sophie bun prefers the soft and my guineas prefer the stalky :lol:I really like the soft hay from there, it is so sweet :) I get my American timothy hay from there too but Sophie isn't fussed on that :lol:

They say the stalky is more nutritious on the website. I have the stalky hay for my pair from them and they now turn their noses up at farm hay:lol:

You could order a small bale of each to see which one they prefer.

They say the stalky is more nutritious on the website. I have the stalky hay for my pair from them and they now turn their noses up at farm hay:lol:

You could order a small bale of each to see which one they prefer.

Thanks, will probably do that. I guess if they dont like it I can just donate to a rescue

It's best value if you buy 10 bags in bulk so I would buy 5 of each. My lops prefer the stalky and my nethies prefer the soft - and the soft is also good for bedding :)

I wouldn't buy from there anymore as it was costing me £40 each month, now it costs me £3 each month as I get a bale from my friend's farm. It's so much better value to get farm hay.

I get bales from a farm near me for £5 sometimes. When they are good, they are lovely but at the moment there are so many brambles and sticks in there :roll: So throughout the winter, I will get it from Dustfree :wave:

I agree that it does work out more expensive buying dust free ahy but my bunnies love eating the stalky stuff and it encourages them to eat lots of hay which is good for them so don't mind.

I tend to use the dust free stuff for them to eat and use a bale of hay from the local horse supply shop for the outside foster bun's bedding, especially in this weather the amount of bedding needed. The only thing is it means my garage looks like a barn :lol:

Well if I buy them cheap stuff, they just waste it.
So would rather spend more with no waste

Have you ever tried a farm bale? I've found that all my buns much prefer it over the pet shop kind, it's always much fresher.
Pet shop hay was costing me around £15 a month, with most of it getting wasted, and a £2.50 farm bale will last me 2 months, for feed and bedding..

I guess I could try a farm bale, yeah, wouldnt know where to look though.

I get my farm hay from a local horse supply store but there are alot of places which do it.

It may be worth putting a thread out about where to get a bale hay in your area. These bunnies can be fussy little fellas :)

mine like soft best & I think you can only get the bale in stalky. I get 10 bags at a time when I order.

do have a look at your local horsefeed shops and ask people who do a lot of driving in the area if they know of any places selling hay near you though as you are likely to be able to pick up a bale for under £4 and although our local supplier is a little erratic (sometimes great, othertimes not) I will usually go an have a look first rather than order from dfh.

The best thing to do is start a thread asking for suggestions for nice farm hay from people local to you. ;)

Alfie and Bubbles prefer the stalky hay but (thanks to Louise and Gus) I have found a couple of places to get really good quality baled hay for just a fraction of the price I was paying before. :)

I get 5 of each. They prefer the stalky for eating and I use the soft stuff for the bedding. Daisy-Boo heads for her fresh pile of hay in the morning, completely ignoring her fresh food!

Back