• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can I let my bunnies out in the snow?

FudgeTort

Wise Old Thumper
Probably a daft question but oh well, as above.
Its not actually snowing here anymore, but the ground is pretty icy.
Would it be cruel to let them out, even if it was just for like ten minutes, they hate being shut up all day, and 10 minutes would give Molly a chance to blow off steam, otherwise she goes insane :roll:
Obviously Id keep the shed open so they can hop back in if they dont want to be in the cold.
Laura.

I think I would keep them in, personally. Rabbits can deal with cold or wet, but they can't deal with both together.

Is there any way you could cover the run? Or find another place to play? A coold kitchen or bathroom, in an unheated house would be good.

Are they outdoor bunnies? If so, they'll be fine with the option of being able to go back in if they wish. ;);)

I agree with Karen M. If they are outside bunnies they'll be fine. Mine are out in it now and can go back in the dry whenever they choose.

They're just inside the shed at the moment, and I have a seperate run for them on decent days. Still in the process of building the attatched run.
I guess I could let them in the garage, they love it in there.

As long as they're used to being outside (as opposed to being in a house) they'll be ok in the snow for a while as they'll have a winter coat and be acclimatised- it's only indoor buns that will struggle with the really cold weather. :)

They might like it outside or they might not - Bubbles didn't approve of the snow this morning. :lol::lol:

Yeah, they both have massive winter coats.
I sure they will love it, Molly quite enjoys being out in the cold and damp I think, because she is strange, and Brian doesnt even notice if there is food around.
Im all excited about letting them out now, didnt think I could :D

Mine have been in the snow all day - they get so excited about snow! I have seen a lot of binkying today :lol:

Mine have been out in their snowy enclosure and pen and binkying was definitely high on the agenda.

Miffy actually rolled over in the snow :shock: which is something I've never seen before.

They are out door buns - and as I have mentioned on previous posts - they will choose to sit outside rather than in the snuggly bit of the hutch. :lol:

Mine, is out there too........racing around and jumping around sideways having such fun. He seems to want to eat it and dig it mainly !

Mine, is out there too........racing around and jumping around sideways having such fun. He seems to want to eat it and dig it mainly !

I thought mine were looking for food in the snow, but they were infact eating it too :shock:

I opened the catflap this morning and mine stayed indoors. I went back 10 mins later and they were all sat in their run.
I let them out for 5 mins and they loved it, but I had to out them back as I had to get ready for work.

BTW: Lunar6769 my Eric actually did a flop last time we had snow and I captured it on video. Very funny.
I'll see if I can find the thread with it on....... I'll be back soon:lol::lol:

Here you are (earlier this year)

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=166629

Im going to go and let them out in a minute! :D
And that video is adorable, he looks very excited about the snow :love:

Im going to go and let them out in a minute! :D
And that video is adorable, he looks very excited about the snow :love:

He'd never been out in it before.And He hardly ever flopped so I guess he was really excited until he felt how cold he was.
Notice how Ernie just sits there admiring the view!:lol::lol:

Bless them, :love:

Im going to take my camera out with me now, though I wont be surprised if they dont notice.

Back