• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Oh a snow dilemma. UD, gone.

Sky-O

Wise Old Thumper
So, I have 13 buns outdoors, and roughly 4-5 inches of snow. It's very windy, but not as cold as it was last night.

12 of those buns are absolutely fine. My concern lies with Tilly.

Tilly had a dental two and a half weeks ago and took a good week and a half to recover.

She has been outside for a week and been fine. She has got some heavy breathing going on, but everything is clear, and it seems to be something that surfaces with anxiety and then goes again. She is currently on Convenia (for head tilt), so even if it was an infection then she would be covered.

Tonight I did my normal routine and she came bounding over. She ate a bit, I'm sure, not not sure how much. A few mins later me and dad were sorting out some additional protection for them and after that she wouldn't come out for food or anything. I have thrown in a mountain of hay, a snugglesafe and a carrot and top, and that was right in front of her, and that has moved and most of the carrot gone (Roger had his own one). I didn't see her eat it, but would presume it was her given there was another carrot and top around.

She is looking perky, but staying inside (quite understandably). Her breathing, however, is quite heavy (herein lies my dilemma).

This is stress induced, and I would think due to the changes to routine and also the eerieness of the snow.

Her breathing does concern me but I'm thinking bringing her somewhere cool inside would stress her more, thus making it more stressful, and that having her normal routine is far better for her. And I'm thinking that leaving her out where she is is the best thing for her.

But I just have that niggly doubt that I should bring her in somewhere cool inside, but then I have the whole getting her back out dilemma.

Any thoughts or anything?

I hate this.

Last edited:
Sorry don't know your setup - is she a lone bun? If she has other buns to snuggle she may settle if they are settled??

She has Roger. He's a former wildie and hides under the hutch, not in it. If anyone is going to be sppoked it will be him, so she may be picking up on that, although he seemed pretty ok. He was reluctant to come over to me too though, to be fair.

They have a 5ft by 5ft run with a 4x1ft hutch in it (so I can't shut them in the hutch). They have excellent weather proofing (i.e. covering round the sides and on the top, etc).

I'm wondering if it could just be the atmosphere? Baby was thumping loudly when I went out, so I think he was spooked.

It does look odd out here too - it is sort of orange in the sky but all the snow is strange. I think that your instinct to not stress her further by taking her in may be right.
Please understand that I am no expert in rabbits and someone with more experience may come along.
Can you go out in a hour maybe and check on her again?

Yes, its very weird and orange, and when I went out there the only noise was the wind whistling every so often, the rest of the noise was dampened and deadended. I found it quite eery and their senses are even more heightened than mine.

I can't check in an hour, but I will definitely check any time I wake in the night (I wake quite a lot).

I appreciate any replies, so please don't do yourself down. I was desperate and you replied, and I'm so completely grateful. Thank you.

If you suspect she's stressed due to the change in routine and weather, then my instinct would be to leave her where she is....it's so hard to tell with bunnies though, isn't it. At least if you can keep checking on her through the night then your presence will reassure her - although I don't envy you out in this weather!

Hope she's ok.

I would say to leave her outside if she is a stressy bun.

I brought my non-stressy buns in one night last winter when it was absolutely bitter outside. They were incredibly stressed and hated it.

She sounds as though she is warm and comfortable and has Roger so I would have thought she was happier outside with him rather than inside.

Fingers crossed for all our outside buns tonight. :(

How is Tilly this morning? I hope she got on ok. We are completely snowed in too. I think I would have gone with your instinct of leaving her out with Roger too to not stress her further. I do hope she is well this morning x

Thanks for the replies :)

I tried to reply last night but we lost our power, so the router went down.

I checked before going to bed and her breathing was better. Again in the night it was better and she popped out from under the hutch. Roger is terrified though, so I think that played a part too.

Funtimes. I think I did the right thing for them both though.

Thanks for the replies :)

Not sure about her this morning again. But not sure what I can do about it.

Her breathing is up and down.

She is keeping her eyes closed (which could be the glare of the snow, so have shaded her away from it as much as possible). She is eating and stuff, but not her normal lively self. She could just be cold of course. Her bond mate is clearly not happy in the slightest, and she could easily be feeding off him.

However, getting her to a vet today is nigh on impossible given all our roads are closed.

I'm just not convinced, but equally not sure what to do. I don't want to lose her :cry: which is my worry because of her breathing and lack of movement, but not sure what is actually best to do for her to help her with that, is it leaving her, or is it bringing her in.

If I had a gut instinct about it I'd follow it, but I don't other than the fact she is appearing not ok.

Personally I'd bring her in

If she is ill then she wont be able to regulate her body temperature and she will be at very high risk of developing hypothermia.

Personally I'd bring her in

If she is ill then she wont be able to regulate her body temperature and she will be at very high risk of developing hypothermia.

Thanks Jane. I've just been discussing bringing her in permanently and how best to do that. For now she is going to go in the spare room with the windows open, which will be cool, but warmer than outside.

Absolutely agree I would bring them in. The risk of hyperthermia/pneumonia is great if she is unwell xx

If a rabbit is on antibiotics, and Metacam, and had laboured (for want of a better word) breathing, what could cause that?

I've got stress and some fumes of some sort (which there are not). Any other physical problems? They listened to her heart but would that pick it up?

On a positive note, she has held her weight, from feeling her, which is a good thing. She actually feels very good.

Thank you. Options are very limited for her because I don't believe that a GA is in her best interests, which leaves very few options.

However, we have sat in a steamy room together and had a lovely time, which was nice :)

Laboured breathing can be a sign of pneumonia or heart problems. I'd definitely bring her indoors.

Is she eating? If the breathing is really bad, rabbits will stop eating properly because they find it difficult to breathe and eat at the same time.

Sending vibes for your girl xx

Back