• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Worst thing Imaginable

rayvenspel

New Kit
I have ben keeping rabbits & cats for years now and they are like family to me. 6 months ago my boyfriend got a dog and she lives with me, I grew to love her just as much.
Yesterday I had to take my poor Nos bunny to the vets. He had a tumour which was inoperable so we decided the kindest thing to do was put him to sleep. I couldn't bring myself to do it before tech so took him for painkiller before I started and put him back in his house before I left.
I ended up getting out early I was so upset about Nos. When I got home however my world fell apart.
I arrved to find the door of their house wide open, it is a brick outhouse and the handle had been pulled right off.

The dog had killed my babies :( My poor Nos & Beautiful Kelpie had been ripped to pieces and eaten. I just cannot deal with this. My boyfriend says it was instinct for the dog and I can't blame her but I can't even look at her without feeling sick. She knew she wasn't supposed to touch them and I can't stop thinking of all the pain she put them through :cry:
She lay on my floor lastnight with my babies in her belly and words can't describe how horrible it felt.
I fear for my cats now, she does chase them sometimes though they scratch her but I'm frightened they will be next.
He thinks I should give her another chance but how could I ever forget what she done? I had to lift her poo today and there was fur in it. I can't stop crying and my heart has been smashed into a thousand pieces. I blame myself for what happened, I was supposed to protect my buns and I loved them so much. I had Kelpie for nearly 5 years.
If anyone has any advice on how I can deal with this please help.

What an awful thing to happen - I would be gutted and I'm sorry to say that I don't think I would ever trust the dog again :(:(

When i was on holiday this year my friend was looking after 2 of my rabbits,3 days after they arrived at her house,her dogs got in and killed them:( No words could discribe to devestation i felt and still feel,They had been dead for 4 days before i got told,Im not sure how id feel towards a dog i was living with if it had done this:(,My two dogs have been around my rabbits for years they dont chase them and respect them,But im now aware not all dogs are so trustworthy:cry: How did the dog get into them?
Im very sorry for your loss xxx

I honetly dontknow what I would do if that were to happen to my Pie.
Im so, so sorry for you.

And Im sorry but I wouldnt want to be near the dog again (i know it was just instinct but still...)
Really sorry. :(

I'm so very sorry :(

Two of my rabbits were taken (from a locked hutch) by a fox last year and it was literally the worst thing that has ever happened to me, I felt like I was shattered into little pieces and would never manage to gather them all together again. I saw the fox the next day and it made me feel even worse so I can imagine to some extent how you must feel, having to live with the dog.

It's true that the dog was acting on instinct and has no comprehension of what she has done, but I don't think anyone would blame you for not wanting to be around her. You have enough on your mind with grieving for your babies, without having to work of forgiving the dog too.

Please don't blame yourself; what could you possibly have done to prevent it? You had no way of knowing what would happen. You gave your bunnies a loving home for many years which is more than a lot of animals get. That is what they will remember when they look down on you.

I don't really have any advice on how to deal with it, it's really just a matter of time. Sometimes I find it helpful to make a scrapbook about a pet that has passed away, I put all their photos in, and write down my memories of them. that can be too hard when they have just recently passed though. :(

I hope you can start to heal soon, and I'm here if you want to talk x

What an awful thing to happen - I would be gutted and I'm sorry to say that I don't think I would ever trust the dog again :(:(

Ditto.:( I don't think you can trust the dog with your cats either. It is only a matter of time before she attacks them too.
I'm so sorry you lost your rabbits.:cry::cry::cry:

I am so sorry. I make no apologies as I am not a dog lover at all but I would not be able to be in the same room with that dog ever again. I can understand how you are feeling - it is only a decision you can make with regards to the dog.

I am really so sorry for your poor babies x

What a terrible thing to have happened to you and your poor bunnies. Its awful, your BF must also feel terrible. The worst thing is that bunnies are the prey of so many animals, cats and dogs too, thats why we are so careful with them. You had your buns in one of the safest places but dogs, cats and foxes are intelligent beings and they will stop at virtually nothing to get at them. Please dont blame yourself, you did everything you could to keep them safe.

I am so sorry for your loss.

I'm really sorry for your loss, but I feel you can't blame the dog, it is the natural instinct for them to hunt, and depending on the breed it can be very strong. Yes, I would be devestated if my dogs killed any of my other animal, but I wouldn't blame them or alienate them, I love them as much as any other animal I have.
As for the cats, when we had a couple of dogs they interacted without a problem, although Willow would have happily taken a small animal, however now I have 7 dogs, they and the cats are kept seperate because at this level they become a pack and I would not trust them.

Sorry for your loss.This happened to me a few years back and I lost most of my buns:cry: The dog had already been agressive with my mum and as my sister was only about 4 at the time she decided the dog wasnt having another chance with us:(

How devastating :cry:

I am as certain as I can be it would have been over very quick. My sister has had this happen twice, the first time many years ago when a stray dog got into the garden: the rabbit wasn't touched but died of shock. The second time it was her own dog: someone left the kitchen door open. That was instant too.

I am really sorry for your loss, its devastating to lose a much loved pet even in the best of circumstances let alone what you've been through. However I am inclined to agree with halfpenny, this was a tragic accident and the dog is not to blame. There was no malice on her part it is just nature.

Back