• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit refusing water

Coineanach

Wise Old Thumper
Hi all, my bunny is sick at the moment, the vet suspected a prolapsed disk but she got worse so no treating for e. cuniculi. Problem is, she collapsed yesterday and couldn't get back up. Since then she's been very reluctant to drink water and is now refusing it altogether. I've tried it in a bowl as well as a bottle but she's not touching it. Is there any alternative to syringing her water? She gets really stressed out but it's going to come to that if she won't drink anything.
I've got her on panacur and metacam, and picked up some baytril today, so hopefully that will help. She's still eating fine, loves her greens. Just no water. Please help, I'm so worried about my wee girl.

I havent checked her bladder today actually, I know she did this morning but she needs her nappy changed - she was sitting in her own urine so nappies work better.

I have soaked the veg in water but I don't think that's enough for her :(

She has now emptied her bladder with a little help. She took a couple of small syringes of water after she'd had her metacam before starting to spit it out. Maybe she's feeling better :)

It's still nothing to what she usually drinks though.

EDIT: I've just had another thought - she won't be eating her cecals at the moment as they land in the nappy and I shove the whole lot in the bin. The nappy is hopefully only a temporary solution until she gets some control over her bladder, but in the meantime should I take the cecals out for her to eat?

Last edited:
i'm sorry i don't know enough. there is some one called tamsin on the forum who seems to know a lot perhaps you could message her? Good luck.

Back