• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can rabbits fly?

sarniajo

New Kit
Hi, I might be moving to Guernsey this year, but I have two lovely Lionhead rabbits that I would love to be able to take with me.

Does anyone have any advice on whether they would be OK to travel in an aeroplane? The ferry alternative would be much more expensive and take many many hours longer including a very long train journey, which might be more stressful. Or should I consider rehoming them in the UK? - although I can't imagine ever giving them away.

Your thoughts and experiences would be appreciated, thanks.

A friend of mine moved his cats and rabbits to America with them and he carried them onto the plane as hand luggage. They coped just fine, although they were very laid back and took everything in their stride naturally.

It is a fairly short plane journey, but it will depend greatly on your rabbits' temperaments, if they are stressed easily then it probably would not be a good idea.

Cerys

yes they can but I would talk to your aircraft handler before attempting it as they may either have to be booked their own seat or have to go into a special animal hold. I agree that a short fly would be better than a long, potentially rocky ferry ride. Mine cope well in a car for three hours, what I would suggest you do is:

Bring a run, some hay, water and a little wet food like spring greens with you.
If you can drive to the airport and let them have a run around in the pen before, feed and water & let them hop around for half an hour.
check in as late as possible, book in most of your stuff except for their water bottle.
if you are taking them as hand luggage empty the water out to go through customs and refill when on the other side
when you are off the plane get out as soon as possible and again find somewhere for them to have a run around.

Last edited:
A friend of mine moved his cats and rabbits to America with them and he carried them onto the plane as hand luggage. They coped just fine, although they were very laid back and took everything in their stride naturally.

It is a fairly short plane journey, but it will depend greatly on your rabbits' temperaments, if they are stressed easily then it probably would not be a good idea.

Cerys

Do you happen to know what airline your friend used? We are moving back to the US in about a year and I haven't been able to find an airline which allows pets as carry-ons.:(

Back