• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Jester off to emergency vets again / Update - doing ok at the moment

giantbunnymummy

Warren Veteran
We're about to take Jester to the emergency vet again as he seems 'off'. I don't want to risk waiting until the morning really just in case, but before he goes thought I'd ask for opinions and advice.

He ate his cabbage as usual at about 6pm and was eating plenty of hay when I went to hang out with the bunnies for an hour or so before I got them their cabbage, and there were loads of poos in the trays.

But, i popped up at about 8.30pm and he was sitting in a funny position and didn't want his pellets. I've offered treats and he won't take them. I decided to leave him for half an hour or so just in case but he's still not eating and there are no fresh poos (changed trays after cabbage time).

This happened six weeks ago approx too. Is there anything I should ask the emrgency vet for? Or just take him for the usual metaclop and metacam?

I'll call a taxi now so have about 15 mins.

Last edited:
The o/h thinks I'm over reacting and is worried we don't have the £140-150 this is about to cost - but I'd rather be broke than risk him deteriorating.

I am right to do the emergency vet route aren't I? Would others wait?

Sorry, just panicking now about Jester and about paying the mortgage in a few days time :oops: Just spent £200 on cat vaccs and taxis this week.

Anyway, taxi on it's way.

If you think he needs to see a vet then yes you are doing the right thing. Better to have no money than no bunny hun. You know your two bunnies and if you think he isn't rigt then there's something wrong. I would definitely go to the vets if i thought there was something wrong - :censored: the money, deal with that later.

Could you get him to move about and rub his tum?

I hope it is a just another one of those 'what a waste of money' vet trips again xxxxxx

Last edited:
Thanks hun. Dave's just left.

I hope a bit of pain relief and metaclop sorts Jester out as easily as last time.

I hate it when they look poorly :(

Did he have cabbge last time he was poorly? Claude my rex had statis about 20 times in his life i had to be so carefull what he ate so i never give cabbage to any of my buns now,Hope Jester is ok xxx

Did he have cabbge last time he was poorly? Claude my rex had statis about 20 times in his life i had to be so carefull what he ate so i never give cabbage to any of my buns now,Hope Jester is ok xxx

He always has cabbage - it's his favourite veg. Daisy loves herbs and a wide selection of veg, but Jester won't eat anything much - he usually has savoy cabbage or curly kale every day, with a bit of carrot or apple once a week as a treat.

Maybe I should cut down his greens and start giving him a much smaller amount.

He always has cabbage - it's his favourite veg. Daisy loves herbs and a wide selection of veg, but Jester won't eat anything much - he usually has savoy cabbage or curly kale every day, with a bit of carrot or apple once a week as a treat.

Curly kale and cabbage can cause gassy tums:(I dont give either mine have spring greens will he eat those?

Curly kale and cabbage can cause gassy tums:(I dont give either mine have spring greens will he eat those?

I will try him. He used to eat greens sometimes, but he'd also turn his nose up. Tbh I cut down on buying spring greens for Daisy when quite a few bunnies on here had gassy tums last spring and people were speculating whether the greens were to blame. :?

It's a minefield deciding on what to feed them! Is red cabbage gassy? He'll sometimes nibble a bit of that.

Thanks for vibes everyone :)

I will try him. He used to eat greens sometimes, but he'd also turn his nose up. Tbh I cut down on buying spring greens for Daisy when quite a few bunnies on here had gassy tums last spring and people were speculating whether the greens were to blame. :?

It's a minefield deciding on what to feed them! Is red cabbage gassy? He'll sometimes nibble a bit of that.

Thanks for vibes everyone :)

Mine have been eating spring grrens for years no problems;) Although cabbage and brocili have caused gas:?

It's a minefield trying to work out what causes it. I've had Roo and Artie take it in turns having emergency 'not eating' episodes, something like 10 episodes between them in just over a year :?

FHB told me she doesn't believe that it's greens that are causing it with my two (I've tried limiting cabbage in the summer giving grass instead, tried all combinations). Not that we have any definite answers at to what does cause it but not thought to be food related, more to do with the shape of their intestines, whether the gas is not able to pass quickly because of hairs in gut from moult etc.

Actually, just had a flash of inspiration. FHB said in Roo's case the fact that he grooms Tink a lot could make him more prone to having a lot of hair in his gut, especially if she is moulting... she said a little bun who grooms a big moulting bun would be particularly at risk from this sort of episode. Is Daisy moulting? Does Jester groom her a lot? That could be a big factor.

*Sending loads of vibes for one of my favouritist bunnies* :love:

Mine have savoy cabbage and spring greens daily :) 1 leave of each between 2 buns, plus a bowl of other veggies :)

Hope Jester is ok, got everything crossed here xXx

Actually, just had a flash of inspiration. FHB said in Roo's case the fact that he grooms Tink a lot could make him more prone to having a lot of hair in his gut, especially if she is moulting... she said a little bun who grooms a big moulting bun would be particularly at risk from this sort of episode. Is Daisy moulting? Does Jester groom her a lot? That could be a big factor.

Jester does groom her a lot, but she's not moulting just at the moment. I think she may have been last time he had his off colour episode though, can't quite remember :?

Maybe I should get him some pineapple extract?

Oh dear, poor Jester - otherwise I'll have to take away his beloved cabbage and wrap his wife in clingfilm or something!

Jester has an impaction. He's been given metacam and a gut stimulant (presumably metaclop). I've got Katalax to give him three times a day starting tomorrow and some recovery if he won't eat on his own.

Also, vet said he could see slight spurs so Jester will need a dental soon.

Back