View Full Version : My heart has broken into a million pieces

16-12-2009, 07:48 PM
Cherry needs another dental.

I know I can't have a dental bun. When Autumn left I decided rather than offer a home to a dental bun I could take on three health rescue buns.

When she had her last dental 8 weeks ago, I promised myself if she was to have dentals every 6 weeks then I would PTS. but I know in reality that I can't do that.

I am stuck between a rock and a hard place.

I don't know what to do.

My heart is breaking

OH said just stick to PTS plan, but I know I can't. Over the past 8 weeks we have lived together in the box room. she is a complete doll. and I :love: her. But know I realy can't afford her without making my self in debt

She is having diagnositc tests tomorrow. She her food intake is ok, increased the amount of water and decreased the amount of wee. So she is having bloods, xrays and possibly a dental. After Frankies Dental on monday I am completely skint :(

Completely don't know what to do:(

16-12-2009, 07:59 PM
just editing as had to type first response quickly as on phone

Try to find a vet who does conscious dentals..cost between 10-15 pounds a time....the are around and although some people are anti non ga dentals we've never had a problem..Hettie, Chrissie, Amy and Marley have been having them for 3 years ..means there is absolutely no need to PTS a bun with teeth probs:D

Hope you can sort it

Bunny Buddy
16-12-2009, 08:00 PM
Maybe the length of time between dentals will improve if her chance of eating hay etc improves? All I can say is I had a dental bun (my first bunny), she needed dentals every 12 weeks but coped with them brilliantly, the GA hardly put her off her stride at all. The cost of it seemed a real burden at first. She suddenly improved from 12 weeks to about 5 months in between.

Is there a way you can set yourself of raising the money? Making and selling some jewellery for example? Setting yourself a target each month that will cover her costs.

I have been feeling very much under pressure this year with what Artie has been costing me, I nearly got 2 more rabbits a year ago but I'm relieved that I didn't in the circumstances. It's actually the vets bills that spurred me to taking on a third job, ironically being away from the buns for more time each week :(

16-12-2009, 08:12 PM
Don't PTS - if she cannot have conscious dentals and you have not got the money then offer her for adoption.

16-12-2009, 08:12 PM
I don't know herr full story but it doesn't sound like she deserves to be PTS :?

I agree with the post above though that the interval may improve...Sorrel started off having them every 6 - 8 weeks and it lengthened to 12 - 18 weeks.

Sadly with bunnies however healthy they are when you take them on there is no guarantee they will stay that way :( hoep you can find a solution.

16-12-2009, 08:14 PM
Can the PDSA/RSPCA vets not help-worth asking - you could even offer to make a contribution of what you can afford perhaps or do some volunteering in exchange ?

16-12-2009, 08:14 PM
just adding..if she is eating ok at present why is she going in on Monday?

There is a vet in East notts who does non ga..also leamington spa and coventry..must be others too

16-12-2009, 08:18 PM
Did you get her from a rescue?

A good rabbit savvy vet would not PTS for 8 week dentals:?

There are rabbits on here that have them every three weeks.

I lost a bun through dental abscess six years ago due to a :censored: vet and now have a dental bun. So I know how devastated you are but PLEASE DONT PTS.

If you don't like dentals maybe rabbits aren't for you:(

16-12-2009, 08:21 PM
As she came from Elaine would she not help with one of the payments to keep Cherry alive? That may give you time to find a vet who does conscious:?

16-12-2009, 08:29 PM
Please don't put to sleep.

Lola my little angel bunny had her first dental, then 3 weeks later had another and now 3 days short of a month after that she's having another tomorrow (All under GA). I am poor too, I live on my loan as I'm a student, if I'm going to get in 30k worth of debt on finishing uni, I may as well spend the money I have on something that makes me happy and keeps me going, and that's Lola (& other buns). I don't have insurance either.

After this dental tomorrow Lola will have cost us close to 600 in less than 2 months, but I love her more than anything, and she's worth more than any money. I've also had three bunnies neutered recently, two of which were before Lola's problems became apparent, but at the end of the day we don't think about the money. I know I'd feel pretty poop without money, but I'd feel ever worse without my bunnies.

Cherry needs you, please don't give up on her.:cry:

16-12-2009, 08:39 PM
just adding..if she is eating ok at present why is she going in on Monday?

There is a vet in East notts who does non ga..also leamington spa and coventry..must be others too

She is going in tomorrow, as she is losing weight, and drinking excessively. She has went from 2.2kg to 2.08 in two weeks, so we are investigating that, vet doesn't want her to go any lower. vet said her teeth look sharp again. so she is going under GA, so bloods and xrays can be taken to try and determine that. Which will be covered by insurance. Vet will then rasp her teeth, which I will have to cover.

My original vet suggested PTS, and I did seriously consider it. But it is NOT and option, which I said twice in my OP, I couldn't go throught with it.

Jill, I don't think Elaine would pay, personally I don't think any rescue would pay for a dental for an adopted bunny.

As for increasing my income. It is definately something I will look into, wether its taking on a weekend job, or expanding my jewellery making, into something more.

16-12-2009, 08:43 PM
I have said all along that I suspect there is more than just Dental issues going on for Cherry.
I think you are wise to go for the bloods and Xray to enable you to make a more informed decision as to what to do.

16-12-2009, 08:48 PM
I know Jane, I should have done it in the first place,:roll:, I should have listened to the wise owl ;)

16-12-2009, 09:06 PM
I know Jane, I should have done it in the first place,:roll:, I should have listened to the wise owl ;)

I very much hope I am wrong xx

16-12-2009, 09:27 PM
if your vet is going to do her teeth while she is out for other tests he shouldn't charge you much
Also agree with Jane..I dobut the teeth are making a difference..I would suspect kidneys or cancer..also like Jane hope I'm wrong

16-12-2009, 10:15 PM
im so sorry louise

16-12-2009, 10:19 PM
Sending vibes for Cherry and for you.

16-12-2009, 11:37 PM
Sending vibes for Cherry xxx

16-12-2009, 11:45 PM
thanks guys. I feel a little better, although it still feels like someone is sat on my chest :(

Ill talk tot he vet about conscious dentals, or semi sedated ones. I think she would be ok with conscious ones. she just sits there and lets the vet fiddle with her teeth, doesn't budge. Anyone know of vets who do conscious dentals in east manchester. I know I have asked before and I have had info and offers of lifts to get me there too :) you are all lovely people.

I do hope Jane and Jill are wrong. but I trust your experience, and hope that she will be good for a while yet, at least until she can go out in the garden in the spring. As I have said before unfortunately she was spayed before she came to me, so I am not sure of her condition that way

16-12-2009, 11:53 PM
If she was speyed while at Elaine's ..then her vet should have records to show if any abnormality was found..may be worth asking:?

17-12-2009, 08:50 AM
I have asked, just in case it could shed some light.

17-12-2009, 08:52 AM
There's a conscious dental place in Sheffield. I should imagine there's one in Manchester

17-12-2009, 12:18 PM
Vet wants to run bloods, unrine xrays and dentals. totals 270 :shock: but we all need to know her future and how to treat her.

Vets are being great, and phoning the insurance directly to see if they will approve it and pay them direct. also seeing head vet to see about installments

17-12-2009, 12:21 PM
Have got my fingers crossed and am thinking of you

17-12-2009, 12:39 PM
oh hun. it is so hard isn't it. and financially crippling at times. the vets sound like they are being really helpful though. hopefully you can sort out installments. i don't think they would say no and let her get worse. xxx

17-12-2009, 12:57 PM
I agree with Jane...I think there is possibly something more serious going on. The fact that your vet commented on a smell coming from her mouth when she had a tooth extracted rang major alarm bells for me.

An x-ray is a good idea....but even if it shows elongated roots, or infection in the roots/bone, there's still no need to have her PTS...it's a wonder what long term abx and pain relief can do for a rabbit.

I've mentioned him before, but my Vernon has virtually no teeth left, and 2 abscesses on his jaw, but he's the happiest, liveliest rabbit you could ever hope to meet. As long as he has his antibiotic injection every other day, and his pellets are soaked he's absolutely fine. Everybody comments that you'd never know how poorly he is.

17-12-2009, 01:15 PM
Lottielouise, I am so sorry that you are going through this with Cherry. Thinking of you and Cherry.

Starbuck had to have a little conscious dental last week - only took 5 minutes so dont know if it was a 'proper' dental. I dont know all the terms but the vet basically said it was to grind down some sharp bits (spurs?) on his molars. He was absolutely fine afterwards - his normal self and in fact better because he tucked straight in to his dinner which he wouldnt normally.

I hope that the various tests that Cherry has helps you all to know what to do for the best, and I hope that whatever it shows is something that can be treated and not too uncomfortable for her.

Best wishes

17-12-2009, 07:41 PM
Just back, Xray showed nothing, just waiting on bloods and unrine tomorrow. They were great, pet plan have not rung back but they let me pay just the excess and the dental :) and to wait until they get back to sort out the rest :)

bunny babe
17-12-2009, 08:07 PM
Hi, I believe this vet in Warrington does conscious dentals if that is an option (I do not use this practice myself but they were recommended).


Although one of mine has had conscious dentals successfully for the last 2 years, he has to have a GA next time for a more thorough one to make sure that they can get the ones at the back. FYI - I pay approx 15.

17-12-2009, 08:08 PM
Just back, Xray showed nothing, just waiting on bloods and unrine tomorrow. They were great, pet plan have not rung back but they let me pay just the excess and the dental :) and to wait until they get back to sort out the rest :)

Good luck for tomorrow.

17-12-2009, 08:09 PM
Sorry to hear that you are having such a difficult time. :(

We have our fingers and paws crossed for little Cherry.

17-12-2009, 08:21 PM
Sorry you and Cherry are having a hard time again :cry: Poor girly, she hasnt had much luck yet health wise, i really hope the bloods shed some light for you both. Thinking of you xXx