• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My heart has broken into a million pieces

lottielouise

Wise Old Thumper
Cherry needs another dental.

I know I can't have a dental bun. When Autumn left I decided rather than offer a home to a dental bun I could take on three health rescue buns.

When she had her last dental 8 weeks ago, I promised myself if she was to have dentals every 6 weeks then I would PTS. but I know in reality that I can't do that.

I am stuck between a rock and a hard place.

I don't know what to do.

My heart is breaking

OH said just stick to PTS plan, but I know I can't. Over the past 8 weeks we have lived together in the box room. she is a complete doll. and I :love: her. But know I realy can't afford her without making my self in debt

She is having diagnositc tests tomorrow. She her food intake is ok, increased the amount of water and decreased the amount of wee. So she is having bloods, xrays and possibly a dental. After Frankies Dental on monday I am completely skint :(

Completely don't know what to do:(

Last edited:
just editing as had to type first response quickly as on phone

Try to find a vet who does conscious dentals..cost between £10-£15 pounds a time....the are around and although some people are anti non ga dentals we've never had a problem..Hettie, Chrissie, Amy and Marley have been having them for 3 years ..means there is absolutely no need to PTS a bun with teeth probs:D

Hope you can sort it

Last edited:
Maybe the length of time between dentals will improve if her chance of eating hay etc improves? All I can say is I had a dental bun (my first bunny), she needed dentals every 12 weeks but coped with them brilliantly, the GA hardly put her off her stride at all. The cost of it seemed a real burden at first. She suddenly improved from 12 weeks to about 5 months in between.

Is there a way you can set yourself of raising the money? Making and selling some jewellery for example? Setting yourself a target each month that will cover her costs.

I have been feeling very much under pressure this year with what Artie has been costing me, I nearly got 2 more rabbits a year ago but I'm relieved that I didn't in the circumstances. It's actually the vets bills that spurred me to taking on a third job, ironically being away from the buns for more time each week :(

I don't know herr full story but it doesn't sound like she deserves to be PTS :?

I agree with the post above though that the interval may improve...Sorrel started off having them every 6 - 8 weeks and it lengthened to 12 - 18 weeks.

Sadly with bunnies however healthy they are when you take them on there is no guarantee they will stay that way :( hoep you can find a solution.

Can the PDSA/RSPCA vets not help-worth asking - you could even offer to make a contribution of what you can afford perhaps or do some volunteering in exchange ?

just adding..if she is eating ok at present why is she going in on Monday?

There is a vet in East notts who does non ga..also leamington spa and coventry..must be others too

Did you get her from a rescue?

A good rabbit savvy vet would not PTS for 8 week dentals:?

There are rabbits on here that have them every three weeks.

I lost a bun through dental abscess six years ago due to a :censored: vet and now have a dental bun. So I know how devastated you are but PLEASE DONT PTS.

If you don't like dentals maybe rabbits aren't for you:(

As she came from Elaine would she not help with one of the payments to keep Cherry alive? That may give you time to find a vet who does conscious:?

Please don't put to sleep.

Lola my little angel bunny had her first dental, then 3 weeks later had another and now 3 days short of a month after that she's having another tomorrow (All under GA). I am poor too, I live on my loan as I'm a student, if I'm going to get in £30k worth of debt on finishing uni, I may as well spend the money I have on something that makes me happy and keeps me going, and that's Lola (& other buns). I don't have insurance either.

After this dental tomorrow Lola will have cost us close to £600 in less than 2 months, but I love her more than anything, and she's worth more than any money. I've also had three bunnies neutered recently, two of which were before Lola's problems became apparent, but at the end of the day we don't think about the money. I know I'd feel pretty poop without money, but I'd feel ever worse without my bunnies.

Cherry needs you, please don't give up on her.:cry:

Last edited:
just adding..if she is eating ok at present why is she going in on Monday?

There is a vet in East notts who does non ga..also leamington spa and coventry..must be others too

She is going in tomorrow, as she is losing weight, and drinking excessively. She has went from 2.2kg to 2.08 in two weeks, so we are investigating that, vet doesn't want her to go any lower. vet said her teeth look sharp again. so she is going under GA, so bloods and xrays can be taken to try and determine that. Which will be covered by insurance. Vet will then rasp her teeth, which I will have to cover.

My original vet suggested PTS, and I did seriously consider it. But it is NOT and option, which I said twice in my OP, I couldn't go throught with it.

Jill, I don't think Elaine would pay, personally I don't think any rescue would pay for a dental for an adopted bunny.

As for increasing my income. It is definately something I will look into, wether its taking on a weekend job, or expanding my jewellery making, into something more.

I have said all along that I suspect there is more than just Dental issues going on for Cherry.
I think you are wise to go for the bloods and Xray to enable you to make a more informed decision as to what to do.

if your vet is going to do her teeth while she is out for other tests he shouldn't charge you much
Also agree with Jane..I dobut the teeth are making a difference..I would suspect kidneys or cancer..also like Jane hope I'm wrong

thanks guys. I feel a little better, although it still feels like someone is sat on my chest :(

Ill talk tot he vet about conscious dentals, or semi sedated ones. I think she would be ok with conscious ones. she just sits there and lets the vet fiddle with her teeth, doesn't budge. Anyone know of vets who do conscious dentals in east manchester. I know I have asked before and I have had info and offers of lifts to get me there too :) you are all lovely people.

I do hope Jane and Jill are wrong. but I trust your experience, and hope that she will be good for a while yet, at least until she can go out in the garden in the spring. As I have said before unfortunately she was spayed before she came to me, so I am not sure of her condition that way

If she was speyed while at Elaine's ..then her vet should have records to show if any abnormality was found..may be worth asking:?

Back