• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Eye infection

Katheryn

Young Bun
After reading the post dental issues -bun passed away im worrying now, took boss to the vets today cus hes got an eye infection, he had runny eyes (white puss) coming out a few months ago and i went to the vets and was given fucithalmic to put in his eye twice daily, this didnt really do much, noticed a few days ago his eye wouldnt open so took him back and now hes on the same eye drops as before but also been given baycox(baytril) 2.5% to put in his mouth daily and the vets flushed his eye and said they got alot of puss out of his nose. The vet did put on the label that i was to give him 2.5mls per day and that i was given 10 syringes but i only had five so rang up and they told me they'd made a mistake and i should only give him 0.6ml per day....idiots...anyway the vet said if this doesnt work he'll need to have an xray to look at his teeth but he was makin out that it was way too costly but i wasnt given another option. His eye looks so sore anyone know if this treatment works?

Thanks

Last edited:
It may be that he has elongated tooth roots which are blocking the nasolacrimal ducts, hence the infection. The skull radiographs your Vet has suggested would determine if elongated tooth roots are the problem.

How old is your Rabbit ?

3 and a half years old. oh right the vet did tell me what sort of infection it was but i forgot a long s or c word! and he said sometimes they take the teeth out but he says he's not known that to actually fix the problem so i dont want to put by bunny through something that wouldnt actually make any difference. He seems to be ok he's eating and drinking alot more than usual but id say thats a good thing as i used to worry that he wasnt eating or drinking at all.

Back