• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Eyesight issues in REWs, how do you help yours?

TeflonsShadow

Wise Old Thumper
As some of you may know, my new bunster, Winter has some REW in her and has a bit of a sight problem, mainly judging height and lengths. She cant jump out of the indoor cage very well that their litter box and hay is in etc and quite often 'crashes'.

At the moment, I have made her a bridge to help her get out the cage, which has helped alot.

I make sure whenever I am approaching her that I make noise so not to startle her (not loud noises or anything) and whenever I sprinkle pellets in their hay I point her nose in the right direction....

How else can I make life easier for my little Winter?

Anyone else out there have a bun that struggles with sight?

Never had one thats not got good eyesight before, am thinking its best not to keep moving things around (I used to do this for Rimmi to make things more interesting but I dont want to spook Winter...)

Took them to the vets and vet also thinks she has some probs with eyes.

Bless.

Thanks!!

Suki's eyesight is pretty :censored: . She copes really well in her own space, but she took ages to get used to free range time in the garden - she relied on her partner a lot & followed him about. She hasn't free-ranged in garden since Alistair died - as she's in quarantine - but I won't be letting her again until she's bonded again.

She can be quite timid - I don't make sudden moves near her & I always make some noise to make sure she knows I'm about - if I make her jump she nips:oops::lol:

She scans costantly

Max has terrible eye sight, but I don't do anything other for him than what I do for my other buns. He can be easily startled, but not for long.

i know what would deffinatly help, is not to move things, jim used to spend ages doing his scanning then get the confidence to run around,

i once put him in my kitchen for a sec and he paniced like mad, it was because he wasnt used to it

i moved my laundry basket once in my room and he ran into it as it wasnt in its normal spot,

I've got one with poor eyesight but she's not white :roll: and she's as deaf as a post with her silly floppy ears :love:

I make as much noise as possible and she still jumps six foot in the air when she catches sight of me :?

I always thought Bailey had some eyesight probs as for such a snuggle bun he startles really easily and I've actually noticed recently that he sometimes scans. He seems to thrive on familiarity so I agree to keep things in the same place and like you already do with Winter he appreciates it if I talk to him when I approach so he knows I'm there. He uses his nose alot more than my other buns but generally it doesn't bother him much.

I always thought Bailey had some eyesight probs as for such a snuggle bun he startles really easily and I've actually noticed recently that he sometimes scans. He seems to thrive on familiarity so I agree to keep things in the same place and like you already do with Winter he appreciates it if I talk to him when I approach so he knows I'm there. He uses his nose alot more than my other buns but generally it doesn't bother him much.

Winter is brill at using her nose... she smelt an apple in my backpack!! :p

I've never had a REW, but my first rabbit Charlie had slowly-progressing congenital caratacts. She was a housebun for the last few years of her life, and learnt to navigate all the main furniture at surprising speed - so maybe Winter will be more confident and capable over time as she gets settled in. We tried very hard not to move any big bits of furniture, and if things she needs were moved we gave her time just to explore without anything else going on i.e. no people moving, not cleaning out or feeding.

She was a solo bun but i imagine having Rimmi will help Winter to learn to follow him and take her cues from him. She should still have a great sense of smell and hearing so use them to her advantage - talk quietly and clearly as you approach so she can judge distance by sound, wave food under her nose and then put it down so she can follow the smell. I also tap the floor when i want them to come to me, even now with my sighted buns, as then they an follow the sound and your smell is at their level.

She'll probably adapt slowly and gently as she gets more confident in your home.

I've never had a REW, but my first rabbit Charlie had slowly-progressing congenital caratacts. She was a housebun for the last few years of her life, and learnt to navigate all the main furniture at surprising speed - so maybe Winter will be more confident and capable over time as she gets settled in. We tried very hard not to move any big bits of furniture, and if things she needs were moved we gave her time just to explore without anything else going on i.e. no people moving, not cleaning out or feeding.

She was a solo bun but i imagine having Rimmi will help Winter to learn to follow him and take her cues from him. She should still have a great sense of smell and hearing so use them to her advantage - talk quietly and clearly as you approach so she can judge distance by sound, wave food under her nose and then put it down so she can follow the smell. I also tap the floor when i want them to come to me, even now with my sighted buns, as then they an follow the sound and your smell is at their level.

She'll probably adapt slowly and gently as she gets more confident in your home.

Thank you :)

They are supposed to live upstairs in the spare bedroom at night but I have been leaving them in the livingroom as I didnt think moving her from room to room would be a good idea :?

Shes not totally blind, she can definately see, but to what extent I am unsure... :?

Back