• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Best antibiotic to treat abcess?

Herbert'sMum

Warren Scout
Hello all. I have a query which I hope someone will be able to help with.

Herbie had a dental on Monday afternoon during which he had to have seven teeth removed! :( During the examination the vet found some infection present. Two days on he is doing remarkably well considering the circumstances, however, I would just like some feedback on the medication he is on, ie. Metacam, plus 2.3ml Septrin twice day and 0.6ml Baytril twice a day.

Having googled Septrin it seems that it might not be that effective for the treatment of abcesses....is this correct? Rather than having to put him through the stress of taking him to the vet every couple of days I would preferably like to be able to treat Herbie at home.

Can anyone offer any advice, recommendations etc about this situation? So far, my vet has been excellent treating Herbie and I know she will be willing to discuss/try other treatments available. Thanks in advance.

Did the Vet take a swab to get a culture and sensitivity test done ?

That would be the best way to identify the most suitable antibiotic to use.

In my experience Baytril and Septrin are not great at treating Dental abscesses.
My Vet tends to go straight in with Depocillin Injections.

Hi, My old rabbit Daisy had several abcesses on her face. My vet always used both Depicillin injections and Baytril (although he always prescribed higher than the recommended doses, i.e. sometimes she would be on 1.5 ml morning and evening in the first couple of weeks and then he would drop it down a bit. He always maintained that the recommended doses are never high enough to be totally effective. To be fair, there was a couple of years between each abcess (due to teeth problems - she had several over nearly 10 years), so that seemed to be effective. Hope your bun is okay x

Last edited:
Another good antibiotic for abcesses is Synulox (if the other suggestions are not working) as it can penetrate the capsule that tends to surround it in rabbits. This would normally be prescribed for abcesses elsewhere not normally dental abcesses but is something to add to the list of things to try.

Ditto what Jane has said.

Legally speaking, your vet should always start with baytril because it's the only antibiotic licensed for rabbits, but unfortunately it isn't effective against abscesses. A culture will *probably* come back as being sensitive to baytril, but rabbit abscesses wall-off which makes it very difficult for antibiotics to penetrate. If your vet is insistent on using baytril, then the injectable form would be best, combined with an injectable long acting penicillin, rather than the Septrin.

Presumably the abscess is open into the mouth? If not, your vet could look into putting antibiotic impregnated implants directly into the cavity. However most jaw abscesses are open to the mouth via the tooth roots, and antibiotic implants are toxic if ingested

Fingers crossed, Herbie seems to be slowly improving. I know it will take time, however, he is pooing OK, starting to eat on his own, wants attention, is pottering around/starting to take interest in things again and is shagging! I hope these are good signs.

Obviously I'm just keen to get this infection under control, so thank you all for your much valued replies which I will discuss with my vet. As said, she has been excellent in treating Herbie's teeth problems and I'm sure he wouldn't be around now if I hadn't been lucky enough to discover her.

We have a rabbit in the rescue with loads of health issues including a dental abcess. As his other health issues were so severe our vet did not risk anaesthetic.
So we have treated it very successfully with Depocillin injections and Marbocyl.

We have a rabbit in the rescue with loads of health issues including a dental abcess. As his other health issues were so severe our vet did not risk anaesthetic.
So we have treated it very successfully with Depocillin injections and Marbocyl.

Was that oral marbocyl?

I'm looking into any abx which can be combined with penicillin for my new bun who has a huge abscess covering most of her lower jaw.

Was that oral marbocyl?

I'm looking into any abx which can be combined with penicillin for my new bun who has a huge abscess covering most of her lower jaw.

No this was Marbocyl inj - however I have used oral marbocyl for dental infection before...works well too

Back