• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How to deal with referred aggression?

Candiflare

Mama Doe
Ralph has a lot of referred aggression and targets Ruby when he feels it. For eg, he gets very grumpy about a hand coming into his cage in the morning - usually he would try to pounce on my hand, but now he grunts, nips and chases Ruby. She then gets scared and doesn't trust him for a bit. It's the same when he smells even the tiniest whiff of another rabbit - time to chase Ruby again.

Anybody any ideas how I can stop it happening?

ive never been able to stop carrie being like this, she only does it when they are in the cage though, sweet as pie roaming,

biggles is very placid, it did get to a point during feeding time i couldnt put my hand in the cage at all, biggles stepped up then as he loves his food bit more than his wife, so one day he just turned round and really bopped her one the surprise on her face was classic,

as to stopping it i really dont know i hope your bun gets the courage to do what bigs did,

carrie is still like it but not as much, i try my best just to ignore her, or just throw a bit of food one end of cage bigs has learnt to sit still as he knows ive got the bowl while she runs orf for the tit bit :lol:

I think you are waiting to get her spayed, unless its happened and I can't find it, so this could be the reason.

Hi Raine, you're right, I know she needs to get spayed but the vet (hook norton/charlbury) refuses to do it until she is 6 months old :cry: it would make things so much easier if they'd do it ASAP. She's over 1kg and very healthy.

Areia - so good to hear other bunnies do it too. I'm hoping that Ruby will cotton on to the fact that Ralph is like this when I appear with food/appear generally. I know they are learning to love each other at all other times, so it's not a sign of them not getting on. I'm sure yours love each other too.

i didnt realise she wasnt spayed, though i would of thought she would of been the aggressor not the boy, this shouild ease once spayed fingers crossed

as for bigs and carrie they are the old couple type, she has recently groomed his eyelashes orf :roll: poor boy, they dont snuggle but they do sit next to each other and groom each other,

but then in real life find me a couple that never get snappy from time to time

i didnt realise she wasnt spayed, though i would of thought she would of been the aggressor not the boy, this shouild ease once spayed fingers crossed

Yes I would've expected her to be the agressor considering she's not spayed. I hope her being spayed won't make her even more placid.

ive never been able to stop carrie being like this, she only does it when they are in the cage though, sweet as pie roaming,

biggles is very placid, it did get to a point during feeding time i couldnt put my hand in the cage at all, biggles stepped up then as he loves his food bit more than his wife, so one day he just turned round and really bopped her one the surprise on her face was classic,

as to stopping it i really dont know i hope your bun gets the courage to do what bigs did,

carrie is still like it but not as much, i try my best just to ignore her, or just throw a bit of food one end of cage bigs has learnt to sit still as he knows ive got the bowl while she runs orf for the tit bit :lol:

Are Biggles & Carrie from BARC & Honeybunnys? Just wondering cos I fostered 2 sallendars called that:D

Her hormonal scent may be driving him wild with lust, even if she isn't the aggressor so spaying may still help:D

I have one bun who shows referred aggression to her partner when humans are around. She has always done it, and spaying didn't help...although she is less aggressive nowadays in her old age. I'd say she started to calm down a bit from about 5 or 6 years old. She has had 2 partners...firstly her daughter who she would bully mercilessly and I finally had to split them up...then a more dominant younger male who she's slightly more respectful of.

I have one bun who shows referred aggression to her partner when humans are around. She has always done it, and spaying didn't help...although she is less aggressive nowadays in her old age. I'd say she started to calm down a bit from about 5 or 6 years old. She has had 2 partners...firstly her daughter who she would bully mercilessly and I finally had to split them up...then a more dominant younger male who she's slightly more respectful of.

That's really interesting, because I think Ralph only does it when I'm around. I look out of the window at them in the run and they're happily lying side by side. Then they hear the bolt on the door go and my footsteps walking down the garden path and he is chasing her around the run! The same in their hutch! if I stick around for any length of time, they go back to happy families again! I feel like they're happier when I leave them alone!

I don't know if this would work in your case but when Pickle is feeling cross, like when I've just picked him up, or he's had to go in his carrier, he likes to beat up my spare duvet. He'll attack it viciously scrabbling, biting and growling at it. He's never shown aggression towards Ginger but I think having a chance to vent on the duvet has improved his behaviour with me.

Are Biggles & Carrie from BARC & Honeybunnys? Just wondering cos I fostered 2 sallendars called that:D

na biggles is a 5 years old from a local breeder, carrie came to me last year i think shes 2 or 3 now from fat fluffs :D my dutches

It could be a couple of things Candi. It could be that her unspayed smell is causing it. You don't know if she is also humping him or being difficult, but you haven't seen it. I wonder also if he can smell Buzz on you and its referred aggression from that.

Back