• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is 3 months quick for a repeat dental?

biscuitblossom

Warren Veteran
Jasmine is my first dental bunny,she had a big dental op in October to sort out her teeth,shes had regular conscious burrs of her incisors since then to try and retrain them.

Today shes been for another and the vet says her molars will need doing again by the time she has her next incisor burr so shes booked for a months time for GA dental.

Is that a short space of time for a dental or is that about right? :?

Better than my Ginger Bun! He's every 8 weeks now! :shock:

It is ridiculously stressful isn't it, never mind expensive!

Not really, Lola has had a 3 week incident and Lenny would have been every 6 weeks if we hadn't had his incisors removed. He's actually due another since one of his peg teeth is regrowing. :shock:

Cherry is in for a check up tonight, as she has went skinny again.

Her teeth were checked 2 weeks ago and there was no problems with them.

I think it is more than just her teeth this time. she isn't weeing much, but seems to be drinking lots, or is spilling lots, not sure which. But she still isn't eating too much hay. I do catch her having the occasional nibble.

Only big problem with Cherry is that she isn't covered by insurance for her teeth at least :(

And her mites arn't clearing up to :roll:

I've had dental buns with molar spurs which needed doing from as little as every 6 months to as much as every 2 weeks. I'd say the average is probably about 4 months.

I'm so glad Jasmine is with you and can receive the treatment she needs :D

It seems to be highly variable.
My bun needs his molar spurs burring every 4-5 weeks. There's no option, fluid intake drops, & he stops eating!

it can be as little as 4 weeks or less if there is a bad misalignment. Is she a big hay eater? If it is every 3 months you might be able to keep on top of the molar spurs by upping the hay intake.

burring the inscissors wont correct the underlying dental problem, it will just keep on top of the length. You might possibly find that removal of the incissors might be a better option if she is having to have it done regularly and that too may encourage her to eat more hay which will in turn help with the less severe sounding molar spurs.

Back