• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

ADVICE PLEASE! Daisy not eating after spay

Wizzy Lizzy

Warren Scout
Hello - I would welcome some advice or past experience from you all...

Daisy was spayed yesterday, when I rang at lunch time yesterday they said it was routine and went well but that she was taking a bit longer than normal to come round (this is not uncommon for rabbits apparently).

I got her home, set up a 'run' in the kitchen with lots of food, treats and hay and have kept the window open slightly over night (she is an outdoor rabbit so I don't want her to overheat or for it to be a shock when she goes back outside).

She is moving totally freely, I have checked the operation site and it looks absolutely fine. She was given a pain relief injection yesterday at the vets and I have given her two doses of metacam since then (one last night, one this morning). I would say though that she is a bit shaky.

Anyway, she isn't eating! She is totally off her food (apart from about half a thread of hay this morning) and is turning her nose away at everything I offer her! When she got home last night she drank a bit and there are a few wet patches on the towel I have put down. The vet nurse said that she had eaten a bit yesterday and this morning I have found 3 poo pelletts which look normal, but she still isn't eating. I'm going to ring the vet at 8am and see if she needs go to in - is this normal though?

Lorenzo didn't eat for a few hours but then suddenly got hungry. He loves his food though and will scoff just about anything you put in front of him. She is different in that she can take ages to eat her food (although it normally all goes in the end!) and sometimes seems able to take it or leave it. She seems to prefer hay (which isn't a bad thing!) and I have put all different types in her run but she isn't eating.

Any suggestions, advice or experiences would be gratefully received! I know I overreacted when Loz didn't eat for a few hours, but this is a bit different!

It may be that she needs a gut motility stimulant, some subcutaneous fluids and some supportive feeds (syringe feeds)
I am sure your Vet will advise you as to whether to bring her straight in or to attempt syringe feeding her first to see if it kick-starts her GI tract.

Dont forget, a spay is a major op' in comparison to a castrate and it is not unusual for a Doe to take 2-3 days to get back to 100% 'normal'.

Good luck and try not to be too stressed as Daisy will pick up on your anxiety :)

Thanks for the advice! I am trying to be totally normal round her, stroking her and talking to her etc, but maybe I need to try harder!

I brought Lorenzo in his carry crate so they could see each other through the bars (they aren't bonded but they are in adjacent runs a lot of the time and he was looking for her this morning!) I thought he may help her a bit - love him, he tried grooming her but she wasn't interested. I totally understand she didn't want to snuggle but I thought I would try it!

What kind of food do I need to syringe feed? I am sure the vet will give me some advice but I don't have anything at home so will need to go shopping!

Will let you know what happens... Fingers crossed when I go downstairs now Daisy will have suddenly started eating and I will find poo everywhere! I have never wanted to see lots of poo so much in my life! (apart from after Lorenzo's op!)

If the Vet suggests syringe feeds then you can make up a liquid feed using the pellets she normally has. Soak them in boiling water, allow to cool, mash them up then add enough water to make the mix syringable.

Back