• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

There's so many 'free to a good home' bunnies

Lillian

Warren Veteran
At the moment :cry:

I often browse sites and email the people offering 'free' bunnies.. just to let them know about the dangers if the animals end up in the wrong hands, and let them know about places like RU etc. Normally i find one or two ads.. tonight i've found so, so many. Its heart breaking, i wish i help all these bunnies. Ive just come across a 'free' young french lop and a litter of 'free' agouti up eared bunnies. It makes me worry so much.

Its so upsetting but in the long run it is better to rehome from rescues and free up space for other bunnies. There is a breeder local to me giving away old stock for free :roll: It makes me so angry. :censored:

It is horrible, i had to turn a blind eye to 3 female buns being offered for free not far from me :cry: We just cannot help them all unfortunately :cry:

I dont even look at Preloved or anything anymore as i know there will be loads that i cant help :( Its so sad. xXx

I know someone that lurks on forums to find out where the free guineas are then collects them and breeds from them (not a member of the Cavy Fancy)- one of the reasons I like RU- no Freeads!

:( Me and my mum sometimes phone or email these people because alot of larger snake owners feed baby rabbits to there snake, its pretty common and i even know people who do it :shock: Its horrible but we have managed to pursuade people to put a price of even £10 on. Just hope they got good homes :(

There's always loads of free buns on my local classifieds website too. I think it's a bit irresponsible. A lot of the ones that have been advertised the last couple of months have had 'perfect christmas present' and 'ideal kiddies pets' and stuff like that written on them. :( I guess it's mostly daft people that have accidentally bred their rabbits and don't have the space to house the babies. The rescues and the pet shops are all full here at the moment.

I do often see nice ads though, normally from people going off to uni and stuff saying that they're looking for a new home for their buns and that they will want to see the new home etc.

Mostly it's the bad ads though. And tbh, I don't think I'd be too keen on getting a free rabbit unless it was from someone I knew. I'd be worried they were getting rid because of health or behaviour problems or something. :shock:

:( I think surely the day has to come where there is tighter legislation and controls for the protection of domestic rabbits. I find it incredible that we can all take our rabbits to the vets for vaccinations etc and adhere to the correct guidelines for their welfare and others can just disregard the whole thing and these animals are allowed to be advertised/or given away like they are nothing with no rights. What is happening here - would it be acceptable for someone from Korea to come here and start breeding dogs for food? I think an animals welfare act should extend to all species large or small and be enforceable in equal measure regardless of the species. These adverts shouldn't be allowed in my opinion, it is providing a vehicle for these deviants of the law.:evil:

A lot of the ones that have been advertised the last couple of months have had 'perfect christmas present' and 'ideal kiddies pets' and stuff like that written on them.

I saw one saying 'Bunny with cage - Bargain' :censored:

I completely agree with everything VickiP said!

I got a phone call to take two recently & I haven't rehomed buns off free ads in AGES. They got my number off their friend whose buns I took (about 3 years ago) & "wanted to give me" 2 3 month old buns from P@H - they don't know the sexes:roll:. And a budgie:?

Back