• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Any advice on Encephalitozoon cuniculi (EC)

aww im sorry hun has your bun been diagnosed?

I lost a bun to E.C last year she died before the blood tests came back :( i had to worm my other 2 buns for 4 weeks solid although people on here will advise 6 weeks i have difficulty pulling it in thier mouth so i placed it on a piece of veg or fruit and they got it that way. they will need wormed every 3/4 months after that aswell.

has your vet given you any advice?

its ben known for a bun with E.C who has lost wieght to not regain its wieght fully this has happened to my bun Misty and he still only wieghs 1.7kg bless him.

sorry i cant be any more help i never had a serious E.C battle since my poor Lilli died before the diagnoses :(

yes she has, was hoping to get more help on the forum, i posted yesterday about her cataracts but not had many replys, i feel really lost and confused what to do, may try another forum :(

One of mine suffered from it about 12 months ago he totally lost the use of his back legs for about 2 weeks but with a fab vet and some really intensive nursing he regained full leg use and you would never know anything was wrong with him. One of my other buns also suffered with EC resulting in a slight head tilt but again she is now so well and only I can tell that she has the slightest tilt. I really hope your bun recovers and feels well soon. My buns had a long course of anti-inflamatories which were injected everyday to greatly help them

are you getting advice from your vet?

theres lots of articles and information the inernet about these things i always google illnesses my buns have then suggest things to my vet unfortuntly i think rabbits can be a effected in different ways with E.C mys buns kidneys failed through it while others experience headtilt and paralysis.

and please dont be offended if peopel dont reply to you were not vets so we dont want to give you false info over the internet the best person to really talk to is your vet they can hopefully help you better then what we can.

been to to vets one said pts as her kidneys are enlarged and she is blind and is falling over, other said give it a mth and see how the treatment is going, been told she wont be able to mix with other bunnys?

Has she had bloods done to show how well her kidneys are functioning? EC is a real pain cos it can have so many different way of showing its-self. Personally I would agree with the second vet, as long as she is not suffering or in pain, and see how she goes with the panacur. It is said that a majority of rabbits have been exposed to EC and actually carry it without showing any signs. Sometimes it can start to show when they go through a stressful situation but some never show any symptoms.

I adopted a bunny who had EC, we eventually lost Shayla to renal failure, but she lived in my house with her husbun Max and he has never shown any signs - I panacured them both when she first arrived and then periodically did her to try and keep on top of it so yes, I do think once she is well enough, she could live with another bun.

We lost Stripes to it....think she was quite an extreme case though as she was virtually paralysed from mid spine downwards. All her organs gave up in the end and she slipped into a coma the morning she was due to go to the bridge :cry::cry:

I unfortunatly know an awful lot about EC. :cry::cry:

What information are you after?

We were told that after we lost Desmond (from EC) that there is no reason that Lola (who our vet suspected has had EC twice but not diagnosed) cannot be with another rabbit ASLONG as its after her 28 day panacur treatment AND the other rabbit has been treated with panacur for 28 days before being allowed near her. Therefore she will be clear of the parasite and another rabbit can not reinfect her.

He also said that he only uses panacur if there is a need as he in concerned that repreated panacur treatments may cause side effects. But i know this is a debated issue.

Been back to vet, we now have all 8 on panancur, clementine is on panacur, anti inflammatory, Metacam and Baytril shes very quiet in her self which isnt like her, i have been told she can pass it on to my other animals ie chickens and dogs?? Vets did lots of tests on her eyes to check her sight but couldn't get any reaction, her kidneys are still enlarged, Looks like we will have to wait and see what happens :(

I hope she improves on the treatrment.
I wouldn't worry too much if she doesn't regain her sight, her sense of smell is probably more important to her. Just try to avoid changing her environment too much and make sure there are no hazards.
She may need syringe feeding or subcut fluids if she is not eating/drinking as well as usual. Vetbed may help if she has continence problems xx

I know a lot of websites advice is 28 days panacur, but my vet & manufacturer advises 6 weeks in a confirmed case. I always thing, what the :censored:, an extra 2 weeks can't hurt:oops:

i have been told she can pass it on to my other animals ie chickens and dogs??

Ec is primarily a rabbit infection but can affect other animals such as rodents, guinea pigs, foxes, cats and dogs, and also humans. In people, infection is usually only found in immunocompromised individuals such as patients with
HIV, or those who are on immunosuppressive drugs.

I believe it is spread by ingesting spores spread in urine so take extra care to disinfect regularly (bleach solution), water bottles instead of bowls to avoid contaminating the water, lift food bowls up -maybe ones that clip on side of hutch would be an idea.

Back