• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

A few questions.

tweak

New Kit
I planned on having my bun spayed today but unfortunately some things came up that won't allow me do so financially, car is in the shop. So my question is how much should I expect to pay to have something in this nature done? Just a rough estimate. I would really like to have this done soon so I can work on the potty training before shes in her new cage.

Also, yesterday after picking up some raisins, thats what I call bun poo, it felt like it was wet? hard still but seemed to have a wet feel to it. I just introduced her to cucumbers so could that have something to do with it? its usually hard and dry. anyways thanks for the help! Cadbury sends you all kinds of love!

Most vets are between £60 - £100 for a spay. Make sure you find a good rabbit vet as it's a major procedure for a girl :)

Also, yesterday after picking up some raisins, thats what I call bun poo, it felt like it was wet? hard still but seemed to have a wet feel to it. I just introduced her to cucumbers so could that have something to do with it? its usually hard and dry. anyways thanks for the help! Cadbury sends you all kinds of love!

Not sure about the effect of cucumbers! Stop giving it and see if her poo gets back to normal, I guess.

If she's fine otherwise then it might be worth cutting down heavily on pellets and veg for a couple of days and making her diet almost entirely hay. You could also try giving her a probiotic (I use Avipro Plus, but I've no idea if it's available in the US).

If it doesnt start to improve within a couple of days (or if it gets worse), it'd best to take her to the vets for a check-up I'm afraid.

Daisy was spayed yesterday and including everything (i.e. metacam to bring home and check-ups following the operation) it was £106.00

Yes I know that is expensive - everyone tells me that the vets I use is really expensive but they are really really good with rabbits and do loads of rabbit spays/neuters so I would rather pay that than worry about the ability of the person doing the procedure.

Going by how Daisy is today it really was a much bigger operation than Lorenzo's snip. A lot more invasive and it has taken her a lot longer to feel a bit better. She is still not eating much but seems quite bright and there are a few droppings scattered around so I am going to wait until her check up tomorrow to check everything is fine. When she hadn't eaten at 8am this morning I was about to cart her off to the emergency vet!

Good luck finding a vet. Whilst mine was expensive (apparently - I haven't tried another vet to find out) think of it as a worst-case scenario!

My female buns all cost around £70 each to get done, there was a little variation between them as the bigger two needed more meds than my little one. Follow up visits to check wounds were free too. :)

Not sure about the poops - Is it possible she could have peed at the same time and that's why they felt a bit wet?

Back