• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Not eating much hay

gillmanning

Alpha Buck
All my bunnies are big hay eaters, but over the last couple of weeks Buttercup seems to have stopped eating it. She'll have a little nibble then stops (she used to eat it for a good long while). She is 6 years old. She is fine eating in general - she loves her pellets (SS) and her veggies. Its just the hay she seems to have gone off. Could it be that she's having a problem with her teeth (even though she is still chewing on wood) or just a bit fed up with hay :?. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks

Hi,

Any change in her habits (eating) it would be a good idea to get her teeth checked.

Have you tried changing the hay,try to fine a very green sweet smelling one it may encourage her or what about the Excel Forage (like dried grass) you could try that.

Maureen

First thing would be to get the teeth checked.

If bun's teeth are ok then, as MoBunny says, try a few different types of hay and place it in a few different places. My girliebun 'went off' hay and i tried EVERUTHING to get her to eat it. Then from the moment she was bonded she started eating any old hay:lol: There's nowt stranger than bunnes;)

Try Dandelion Delight as well:)

This is very typical of small spikes - "spurs" on the back teeth (molars) & which can rub painfully on the cheek or tongue as the bun grinds up fibrous food. Hay needs the most grinding, so it's usually the 1st. food they eat less of.
They can still bite - wood etc, with the front teeth.
She needs to have her teeth checked by a good bunny vet.
Please keep us updated.

Buttercup has now had her dental (her molars did need a bit of filing down), but she still doesn't seem keen on her hay :?. I bought her some different hay but that didn't temp her either :(. She still loves her pellets and her veg, so she is eating, but just not hay. Is this ok, I'm just a bit concerned as her diet is supposed to be 80% hay? Should I give her extra food or veg - the only problem with this is is that she lives with Zola and he doesn't really need to put on any more weight . . . I'd be grateful for any advice, thanks.

It's good that she's eating. Is she pooping well with no uneaten caecotrophs - squidgy poops? (That is the best way to assess how well she's eating & that her gut is working well)

There is often a slight delay in recovery to normal eating after a dental.
If the mouth has been ulcerated by the spurs, it continues to be painful until the ulcers heal.
The mouth has to opened wide to treat the spurs. This can cause a little jaw stiffness for a couple of days.
For these reasons my own vet always gives Thumper pain relief in the form of metacam for 3 days after a dental. I strongly advise this. I give the daily dose about 2 hours before his natural main eating time.

It is a very personal observation that my own bun learns very fast, that eating hay = pain. He's got into bad habits now. I gently encourage hay eating for the 1st. 4-5 days after a dental, but if he doesn't pick up, I put my foot down & try giving him his veg & dry feed a bit later so hunger forces him to eat hay, & he is rewarded for eating hay.

If Buttercup was a good hay eater before, she should get back to it. Hay is a good source of fiber which is essential to keep bunny guts moving. The bark from apple tree twigs is a good temporary stop gap, if you can find any in the snow!!

I hope this helps. Please keep us updated & come back to us for any further tips.

I hope Buttercup is feeling better soon.

Did the vet consider arthritis in her jaw? At 6 years she is getting a little older so this may be a possibility. And may also lead to the spurs if she is not moving her jaw correctly to keep her teeth filled down

Thank you Hugo's There. I simply don't have the knowledge or experience of older buns. It is our combined experience which makes this forum invaluable.

:wave: Hi Liz and thumps - thank you both for your advice and support. My Buttercup is an older lady (I adopted her from ARC last year when she was 5) and I want to do my very best for her. She is a very sweet bunny and loves a nose rub - she has toy-boy husbunny who she loves to snuggle with :love: Anyway I just wanted to let you know that I've seen her start to eat hay again :D. Just a little, but here's hoping she continues.

Here's a piccy of her (on the right) with Zola last summer :love:
Image0701.jpg

Oh your buns are lovely. Buttercup looks so happy & interested in the photoshoot. She's a very lucky bunny.
I also ope that he hay eating goes from strength to strength.

Back