• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

bonding experts 2 rabbits or 3 ?

kaths101

Warren Veteran
:wave: just a question - is it easier to bond a pair to a single rabbit or to start with 3 single rabbits and bond all together at the same time..

or is 3 and awkward number and its better with 4??

thanks

Oooh which one?

charlie the dutchie - I have fallen in love :love: - i always wanted a dutchie but dont want to confuse the issue with my 2! and they would really need to get on so they can all go in the spare bedroom..

can anyone else help? is 3 really difficult - ive been reading up and apparantly its quite difficult - so I would have 2 boys and a stroppy girl :roll:

I would imagine 3 at the same time, but I haven't tried it. If you add one to a pair there's a risk of upsetting the existing bond.

3 single buns in one bond,as timb0h said adding to a pair can upset the bond and you can end up with 3 singles anyway. You could do a 4!!;)

Well... you know that I have my two.. Ralph and Ruby, and then I fostered this local bun, Buzz, who is currently on rabbit rehome? WELL... Ralph and Ruby are now successfully bonded, BUT if Ralph gets a whiff of Buzz around the house or on toys outside, then he will chase and bite Ruby and the bond goes a bit scewy for a little while. When I remove anything that could possibly have the smell of Buzz on it, Ralph returns to normal, but it takes a couple of hours/days for Ruby to trust him again. I now have to be really careful what toys/items I share between the single bun and the bonded pair, because the smell of Buzz really upsets their bond.

Obviously I'm a bonding beginner, so I'm not particularly experienced in bonding three, but I'd probably say that a four is better. Although, you haven't yet bonded Sooty and Oreo, so maybe if they're all introduced to each other at the same time it will be different?

Also remember that there are people at Rescues who can help you. That was my fall back option if my bonding Ralph and Ruby didn't work.

charlie the dutchie - I have fallen in love :love: - i always wanted a dutchie but dont want to confuse the issue with my 2! and they would really need to get on so they can all go in the spare bedroom..

can anyone else help? is 3 really difficult - ive been reading up and apparantly its quite difficult - so I would have 2 boys and a stroppy girl :roll:

Oh he's gorgeous! :love: Get him! Get him! :D

When I bonded a single to an existing pair the boys were fine, but my female was a nightmare as she didn't like the fact her husbun had another friend to play with. In the end she bullied the new bun so I decided to get him his own girlfriend. There wasn't any full on fighting, she just harrassed him as didn't like being the odd bun out. I suspect if I tried them as a forsome she wouldn't be as bad.

hmmm i wondering as sooty and oreo are quite close now whether to get a pair already bonded or try single buns - i think i have room for 4 :D

my spare room is 10ft x 7ft - is that big enough?, they would be allowed out in the evening to venture downstairs as well for free range

Back