• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Lionel's diary - Last entry

angeleyes

Warren Veteran
Today Lionel has finally been diagnosed with pneumonia.

His breathing difficulties first appeared in late May 2009, he had an x-ray not long after which didn't show anything, however after last weeks x-ray, he has now been diagnosed by 2 vets.

He will be treated with antibiotics and steroids.

No real need for anyone to reply but I will keep this thread updated as to his progress if anyone is interested :)

Big thanks to everyone that has sent vibes and supported us xx

Last edited:
Although its not great news, I am pleased you have some concrete answers. It always helps to know what you are dealing with.

Sending lots of vibes for Lionel and hugs to you xxx

Katie

the positive is that you now know what it is and that Lionel can receive treatment. Healing thoughts heading Lionel's way. We'll be watching his progress and hope it isn't too long before he starts to do well.

Helen x

I hope that Lionel does aswell as my Sarah did, although she too could not be cured. I also hope that his meds buy him as much good quality time as possible.

xx

Awwwwww my Maisie has/had pneumonia, she's had it about for about five weeks but it has nearly gone now, sending lots of vibes :love::love:

Poor little Lionel. :( At least you can be certain now of what treatment he needs - sending vibes for the little man :wave:

yes please keep this thread updated.

lots of love to Lionel, he still is and always will be one of my Favourite RU bunnies :love::love::love::love:

eddie was on a combination of echinachea and siberian ginseng to boost his immune system. But it was such high strength it was prescription only, not the type you can buy over the counter :)

Is pneumonia usually pretty bad then? Beau was diagnosed with pneumonia earlier in the year and was better after a few days. Dunno if that means good news for you or if Beau was misdiagnosed :?

Vibeses xx

Is pneumonia usually pretty bad then? Beau was diagnosed with pneumonia earlier in the year and was better after a few days. Dunno if that means good news for you or if Beau was misdiagnosed :?

Vibeses xx

Well my vet has basically said he won't get better, only worse we can however try to manage it, although this might be because it has been going on since May and only just diagnosed, although i wouldn't think you would get over it in a few days :?

Thansk for all the vibes everyone xx

Vibeses xx

I think Lionel's pneumonia is of a chronic nature probably related to his history of repeated abscessation.
My Sarah had chronic pneumonia too.

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=...nepage&q=chronic pneumonia in rabbits&f=false

ETA Although the above link mentions that the use of steroids is best avoided in cases of pneumonia if the condition reaches the 'terminal' stage then the benefits of using the steroid to buy the Bun more good quality time by far out-weight the risks. Sarah would have had to leave us almost a year sooner had she not been on the steroids aswell as abx and in the latter stages a diuretic. NSAIDs did not give Sarah any relief from her symptoms so the only alternative to using a steroid was PTS :cry:

Katie, I hope that Lionel will cope as well as my Sarah did even though we could not cure her.

xx

Last edited:
Today Lionel is VERY bad, even my OH (who has maintained all along that he's 'not that bad' :roll: ) told me he was worried and has been home a few times today to check on him :love:

I picked up a short action steroid injection tonight which i have just given him along with his depocilin, hoping to see an improvement by morning, its just so so cold tonight :(

Back