• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Daventry bunny run - UD/Postponed

Tinsel

Wise Old Thumper
(This probably needs to be moved to Transport Requests).

The nethie trio have been trying to get here for months but with no success. They've now moved from Northamptonshire down to Leeds.

On Friday the 18th December (thanks to Camp Nibble and Anybunny) the buns have the offer of a lift from Leeds to Daventry.

On the 21st (afternoon) they have the offer of a lift to London, where they are booked in for their spay on the 22nd (thanks to Kris and Hetty). The problem is what happens to them between their arrival in Daventry on the
18th, and Hetty's journey from Daventry on the afternoon of the 21st.

Is there anyone who lives in or near Daventry who would be able/willing to hold them for the three days? I'd be happy to pay petrol/food costs etc - am just desperate to make sure it doesn't all fall through again, when it seems so close to happening this time.... Can anybody please help? :wave:

Last edited:
I am probably going to make myself (even more) unpopular here........

Are you seriously getting them all spayed on the 22nd ................ :shock:

Surely they will need time to recover from all the stress of transportation :?

I'd hoped that as they're a closely bonded three and are travelling together throughout they'll cope with the spay and get all the changes/disruption over within one specific period, rather than having the journey, then settling in, then having the disruption of being spayed just as they were about to find their feet.

But anyone who knows you knows you would only EVER have the buns' best interests at heart, Jane...:wave:

You may have a point. After all, if it has taken months to get these rabbits to London, a week longer for them to get over the stress of being shunted round the country may be worth considering.

Oh right.
Hope their spays are 'uneventful', it'll be 'out-of-hours only' Vets from 24th-29th.......................

Hi Tinsel!

Daventry lad here! I can look after them for the 3 nights, but the catch is I need a large indoor cage to put them in for overnight :?... the can be locked up in the garage at night, but unfortunatley I can't offer them indoor accomodation :(

The offer is here if you need it :wave:

Janak

Oh right.
Hope their spays are 'uneventful', it'll be 'out-of-hours only' Vets from 24th-29th.......................

That's another very valid point. This is starting to sound like a bad idea :(

It's been really frustrating - the bunnyrun has been attempted a number of times and has fallen through, and I was so happy when this one looked as if it would work. But maybe we should wait until after Christmas and pray that another bunnyrun can be set up then... If getting the journeys/spays over together ISN'T a good idea - which I'd thought it might be - PLUS the vets services would be constricted (hadn't really registered the date in terms of vets being off duty :oops:) - then I'm thinking we should leave it until the New Year.... :?

Hi Tinsel!

Daventry lad here! I can look after them for the 3 nights, but the catch is I need a large indoor cage to put them in for overnight :?... the can be locked up in the garage at night, but unfortunatley I can't offer them indoor accomodation :(

Janak

Oooh hi! We cross-posted! Thank you for the offer. I'm just questioning the wisdom of the timing now ... :cry:

If getting the journeys/spays over together ISN'T a good idea - which I'd thought it might be - PLUS the vets services would be constricted (hadn't really registered the date in terms of vets being off duty :oops:) - then I'm thinking we should leave it until the New Year.... :?

Why not just separate the two events?

1. Bunny run before Christmas
2. Spay after New Year

That's another very valid point. This is starting to sound like a bad idea :(

It's been really frustrating - the bunnyrun has been attempted a number of times and has fallen through, and I was so happy when this one looked as if it would work. But maybe we should wait until after Christmas and pray that another bunnyrun can be set up then... If getting the journeys/spays over together ISN'T a good idea - which I'd thought it might be - PLUS the vets services would be constricted (hadn't really registered the date in terms of vets being off duty :oops:) - then I'm thinking we should leave it until the New Year.... :?

I honestly think you'd be asking for trouble getting them spayed on the 22nd.
If the run can still go ahead this week then that'd be OK wouldn't it ?
They could all then have a good time to recover from such a long journey. You can make sure all their tums are OK, they may all be closely bonded but that is no guarantee against stress induced stasis. The last thing you'd want is for them to be being spayed with an already compromised GI function. Add to that having to rely on Out of Hours Vets (and all the additional costs that would involve) then IMO its a recipe for disaster.

Hopefully they can all be gotten to you this week and you can arrange their spays for a later date :)

I'll butt out now and mind my own business :oops:

ETA oops cross posted Jane - but see below! An thank you for your excellent advice... :wave:

Yes, I agree. I'll cancel the spays and get them done once the buns have had a chance to recover properly. I'd wanted to get all of the disruption out of the way for them in one go, but if there's even a tiny risk it could be too much for them I'd rather play it safe.

Thank you for all the advice/input everyone - situation resolved! :wave:

Hi Tinsel!

Janak

You can borrow my spare dog crate (42") if you can arrange collection of it, I'm only about 20 mins from you. I would have the buns myself but am going away early on the 21st.

ETA oops cross posted Jane - but see below! An thank you for your excellent advice... :wave:

Yes, I agree. I'll cancel the spays and get them done once the buns have had a chance to recover properly. I'd wanted to get all of the disruption out of the way for them in one go, but if there's even a tiny risk it could be too much for them I'd rather play it safe.

Thank you for all the advice/input everyone - situation resolved! :wave:

I am so pleased that you have decided against spaying them straight away. when Kris told that was the plan I said I would pull out of the bunnyrun if I was needed as I thought the stress would be far too much for them. I think people completely underestimate how much stress bunnies go through when on these runs. I know it often seems like they don't struggle but at the end of the day they are prey animals and hide their symptoms very easily.

If you are stuck and the buns can be got a bit further south I would be happy to have them here for a couple of days. I am sure Hetty would love an excuse to call in here ;)

I am so pleased that you have decided against spaying them straight away. when Kris told that was the plan I said I would pull out of the bunnyrun if I was needed as I thought the stress would be far too much for them. I think people completely underestimate how much stress bunnies go through when on these runs. I know it often seems like they don't struggle but at the end of the day they are prey animals and hide their symptoms very easily.

If you are stuck and the buns can be got a bit further south I would be happy to have them here for a couple of days. I am sure Hetty would love an excuse to call in here ;)

Thanks for the offer, Liz. :wave: I feel confident that something can be sorted now for next week, and what you've said helps to confirm my feeling that postponing spaying is the right thing to do.

The beauty of RU is that people are prepared to give advice and share their knowledge. I've been around long enough on the forum to know that when Jane gives advice the only sensible option is to take it!!! I'm extremely grateful that she did so. :)

If last weekends bunny run had gone ahead I would have said something, I was just waiting to see what was going to happen. :)

Having lost 2 bunnies in the past when helping with long bunny runs ( neither of which were bunnies for me, I was just the middle man ) it has made me extremely cautious of putting too much stress on any bunny :(

ETA I am 39 miles south of Daventry according to AA route planner :wave:

If last weekends bunny run had gone ahead I would have said something, I was just waiting to see what was going to happen. :)

Having lost 2 bunnies in the past when helping with long bunny runs ( neither of which were bunnies for me, I was just the middle man ) it has made me extremely cautious of putting too much stress on any bunny :(

ETA I am 39 miles south of Daventry according to AA route planner :wave:

Thank you. I appreciate your honesty. Helping with bunnyruns where the bun doesn't make it must be so devastating :cry:

I'll Hetty know about the possibility of a visit too, or direct her to this thread :wave:

Thank you. I appreciate your honesty. Helping with bunnyruns where the bun doesn't make it must be so devastating :cry:

I'll Hetty know about the possibility of a visit too, or direct her to this thread :wave:

Seems there is a good chance that Schoko will becoming here before Christmas now so we may actually be going back to Kris's next weekend unless anyone from that way can come to us :?

Thank you everyone for all the kind offers. :wave: Will be in touch via pm once a plan seems viable. If you don't hear by Thursday night assume it''s all sorted, and thank you very much again! :D

Back