• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Why won't the humping stop?? :(

Danielle84

Mama Doe
Timmy and Blossom have been living happily together in their new space and have been free range for the past two weeks. Trouble is, Timmy will not leave her alone! He just will not stop humping. He's not hurting her as she runs off, but he does it when she is eating, so then she doesn't finish her food. She's not starving or anything but i just think "leave the poor girl alone!"

Is there anything we can do? (other than seperating them again :roll:). Would putting them in a smaller set up help?

I'll add to this,
I also think the humping only happens when we're in the room.

If I watch them together and Timmy can't see me, then they're fine.
When he see's me, he runs over and tries to mount.

:shock: timmy thinks you're going to have a go at his woman!:D:oops:

eric was like this with esme - as soon as she settled down for a snooze, he began the humping again. he tried it whilst she was eating too - bad idea - nothing keeps esme away from food. i think it takes a while for the humping phase to wear off. as long as she's eating and doesn't seem upset by it, i wouldn't worry too much.

Our 'ungentlemanly' phase only lasted a short time but we physically moved him away from Miffy every time we saw it and said stop in a firm way to him which he got fed up of so stopped harassing her. Could be worth a try?
:)

Maybe seperate them for five minutes whilst she's feeding, but other than that there's not really much you can do. I do find that chasing always seems to start when I open and close their run, but luckily no more humping these days. It should calm down eventually though.

PTV and Danielle - I see the same thing with mine. My male gets "worse" when I appear and then settles down when he thinks he's out of sight!

I wonder what that means?!

Our 'ungentlemanly' phase only lasted a short time but we physically moved him away from Miffy every time we saw it and said stop in a firm way to him which he got fed up of so stopped harassing her. Could be worth a try?
:)

I have been doing this and it did seem to work eventually.

Did your males grip on with their teeth?

I've caught Timmy at times pulling her fur out whilst gripping on, and then eating it!

I'll add to this,
I also think the humping only happens when we're in the room.

If I watch them together and Timmy can't see me, then they're fine.
When he see's me, he runs over and tries to mount.

Alvin does this too.. and hes worse now that it looks to him im trying to steal pearl in my hump like position getting the drugs into her :shock::shock:

My Roger and Strawberry are the most "in love" buns of all of my pairs, and sit and mutually groom each other all the time, and when they're in the garden Roger mounts Strawberry loads (much to the amusement of my 11yr old:roll:)
but Strawberry just moves away when she's had enough!

So long as there isn't any aggression I wouldn't worry.

I have been doing this and it did seem to work eventually.

Did your males grip on with their teeth?

I've caught Timmy at times pulling her fur out whilst gripping on, and then eating it!

Never saw any gripping or fur pulling from Fluffy. I suppose it was quite mild compared to what I have read on some threads.

We left a camera in the for a little bit last night filming them when were not around, and he never went near her. Were sure its only when were near

We have also noticed that Blossom has a couple of red marks on her skin where he's pulled the fur. I think he grips on with his teeth :roll:

She doesn't seem bothered by it and doesnt flinch when we touch her back. Just don't want to leave them together if he's using his teeth????

My male bun is always humping the female he seems to be gentle about it lol but when she gets on him shes goes mental and starts ripping his hair out, iv separated them because i dont know whether ripping his hair out is normal or whether shes angry, but sorry cant help i cant see how it is a bad thing so long as they arnt hurting each other

My male bun is always humping the female he seems to be gentle about it lol but when she gets on him shes goes mental and starts ripping his hair out, iv separated them because i dont know whether ripping his hair out is normal or whether shes angry, but sorry cant help i cant see how it is a bad thing so long as they arnt hurting each other

Hmm..i'm not sure either! Very strange behaviour! I hope yours can be put back together! Just seems a shame for them to be on their own just bacuse they can't control themselves!

Bless Blossom :( Is he actually breaking the skin?? If hes biting her and marking her, you'll be able to feel scabs? If hes just fur pulling i wouldnt worry too much, but if hes actually cutting into her skin i think id be a tad worried :( You dont want her covered in wounds all the time.

If hes humping only when you guys are around, hes just letting you know hes hers ;)

I have maybe missed this...but they are neutered??

This only happened with mine when they were babies and as soon as James' testicles descended they were snipped and the mounting stopped pretty much instantaneously. Well at least not as often.

He used to pull out her fur and cause a big bald red (sometimes bleeding patch) I'd sometimes let James out for a while when Cally was still in the cage and vice versa just o give her a break! It did settle down after he was neutered though!

Yes they are both neutered so i didn't think it would be a problem, but i guess it is the dominance thing and 'claiming' her as his.

Becky...he has created a red patch..not sure if it's pierced the skin, as it feels a little rough but not really like a scab. It is a very pale pink now and he hasn't really done it again (as the mark has got paler).

They have been snuggling up a bit more now and yesterday they sat for about half an hour pushing their heads under one anothers...it was really sweet. But he is still humping when we're around.

We usually have them out most evenings, but should we just leave them be for a few nights so we're not influencing the hunmping?? They do have the spare room to themselves so they still get plenty of exercise. Just feel bad with them not around us :( but just want the humping to die down!

Yeah just sounds like where hes pulled her fur out, you'd know if it was a scab, they feel and look horrible.

My Lola wouldnt stop humping Ronnie for a few days in the summer... but it soon passed, hopefully it will with your buns too :( It sounds like theyre getting on well apart from the excessive humping :lol: They are newly weds though y'know ;) :lol: xXx

My female isnt neutered but the boy is could this be why shes a bit mental when it comes to humping the male? lol both vets iv been to say they dont recommend neutering female buns cus its risky so i wasnt goin to bother but i do feel sad that boss sleeps on his own again, perhaps il look into gettin molly neutered somewhere else i spose!

I think it's something that will tail off gradually rather than there being an instant fix. You're part of the social group so because you're not there permanently when you are reintroduce yourselves he's got the instinct to re-establish the pecking order. A bit like if two rabbits had been temporarily separated.

I don't think taking yourselves out of the equation will help because it will just reoccur whenever you come back. The opposite might speed it up.. spending a whole day with them until the humping wears off. That's a guess on my part :) I expect it will naturally decrease anyway as the routine and new social structure settles down.

Back