• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bond may be breaking down

holidayhutch

Warren Veteran
We have noticed this last couple of weeks that Monty is always left out in our trio. He always used to be the first one to the front of the hutch and now he sits huddled in the corner at the back.:( It's the same if he is in the run, he always goes and sits on his own. He had a bout of stasis over the weekend and was quite concerned over him but thankfully that has cleared, but before when it was just him and Milly if I took him out of the hutch, she would go mad when I put him back in, now her and Munch dont bat an eyelid. It's either that or he is turning into a grumpy old man and just wants to be on his own whilst the youngsters play.

I think it might need a smaller space again for a few days or a few car rides to try and re-establish the relationship.

Do you know why Monty went into stasis? could it be dental related? If he seems huddled it could be a sign of pain [often dental]. Unfortunately with trios when the 3rd bunny is added sometimes one of the original pair will decide they like the new bun better,could always add a 4th bun......

Hi - his teeth are fine, no problems there and he was bright enough in himself not long beforehand and had eaten loads of fresh hay that morning. I picked him up for a cuddle before bed and his stomach was bloated, hard and he was very lethargic.

They have been bonded as a trio since the summer with no problems, it was a dream bond - took 15 minutes and they were loved up and been fine since, it's just been the last couple of weeks, although went out an hour ago and they were all grooming each other quite happily.

Daft as it sounds I wonder if he doesn't like the dark nights as I remember him going very quiet last winter for a while.

:wave::wave: Hello!
I had this problem with my little man Phoebe, he withdrew alot when we lost his wifebun Piper, when he became part of a 4some he would sit by himself, sit in the corner of the run looking utterly miserable and would prefer to pick his carrot up and eat it alone 2.
It didnt matter how small i made the space, they would still find a way to ignore Phoebe (which i found weird because Holli and Phoebe have ALWAYS been togeather) :roll:
I found when I added Ava, she took a liking to him straight away and thankfully hes come out of his shell a bit now :love:

sadly lynne we hear of this quite a lot with 3 buns together ... 2 seem to find a closer bond and the other seems to be left out a bit :(

not had a 3 myself but its just what we are learning through people phoning for advice.

not saying this always happens though...i supose it depends on the buns .

The group of 3 I had were all extremely close, and loved being togeather for a snuggle :love:
Although ive found someone is left out in a bigger group like the case ive mentioned above.

Its just odd how they have all been getting on great and the last couple of weeks he has been on his own. They seem pals again this evening but am keeping a close eye on them. Monty has had a special pamper too, lovely brush and a little nail trim whilst snuggling on his mummys lap - my bum was blimming frozen though:lol:

Back