• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Treatment of Snuffles/highly strung bunny!

Veronica

Mama Doe
This is Baby, one of four bunnnies I took on from Ange.

DSC02658-2.jpg

Ange adopted her from the RSPCA a few months back and was told she was spayed. My vet is certain (and judging by her extreme behaviour too) that is isn't spayed. We've had to separate her from her husbun as she became so agressive she made attacks against him.

I want to get her spayed asap. She is extremely unhappy, grumpy, aggressive, confrontational and territorial...basically you can't go anywhere near her without her making a forward attack (at full force :shock: ).

However, she is suffering from snuffles. The vet has listened to her chest and has said her chest is clear, but she is very nasally. She has a runny nose...clear discharge mainly, but occasionally cloudy white in colour, and sneezes now and again.
She's been on a course of baytril for two weeks as advised by my vet, with little effect...although the stress when living with her then husbun probably meant the meds weren't able to take effect any way. She is a very uptight bunny at the moment, very highly stung, so I do worry for her stress levels.

What would you recommend the best course of treatment for this bunny to be?

Thanks in advance :)

Can your Vet not contact the RSPCA Centre to ascertain whether she has been spayed.
No way would I want a Doe in my care to undergo an 'open up and see' proceedure if she already had a concurrent illness :?

Alternatively an abdominal U/S might give some answers.

As far as her Snuffles goes then it may be Dental related-ie elongated tooth roots obstructing the nasal passages. Skull radiographs would be required to check for this. If elongated tooth roots are found then it is generally a chronic problem that needs lifelong management-ie regular Dentals to keep the actual teeth short to try to reduce the rate of root elongation. NSAIDs and abx as and when required and a good hay/grass based diet.

There are different abx that can be prescribed but if the nasal discharge is mostly clear then perhaps there is not active infection at this stage and its more more inflammatory. In which case perhaps a NSAID (Metacam) may help.

Back