• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

speying rabbits before homones kick in

Crystal butterfly

Warren Veteran
on another forum someone was asking about speying i gave abit of advice and said that my vets will spey girls at 4 months if thier a good size and wieght someone replied to that by saying that speying early can cause growth defects and can cause health problems later on in life is this true?

does it mean it would also effect boys? because iv had a male lionhead neutered at 14 weeks before and there was nothing wrong with him he grew up fine and actually became one of the nicest rabbits ive come across because he was done before his homones 100% kicked in :?

on another forum someone was asking about speying i gave abit of advice and said that my vets will spey girls at 4 months if thier a good size and wieght someone replied to that by saying that speying early can cause growth defects and can cause health problems later on in life is this true?

does it mean it would also effect boys? because iv had a male lionhead neutered at 14 weeks before and there was nothing wrong with him he grew up fine and actually became one of the nicest rabbits ive come across because he was done before his homones 100% kicked in :?

Never heard this in relation to rabbits. Some people say they don't like to get dogs neutered before they are full grown because they develop differently, but I don't know if this is true or not.

I think they may be thinking about the females reproductive organs aren't fully developed. Not sure how much research there is though.

Back