• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What kind of rabbit is this?

WSLiu02

New Kit
Hi there, I was hoping someone could help me. I was told by the salesperson at a petshop that these were Netherland Dwarfs. Are they Netherland Dwarfs or a mix? If so what kind of mix? They're both male and full grown.

I thought they looked different from normal Netherland Dwarfs in that they were slightly larger, their ears are longer, and the head shape seemed slightly different.

I'm aware that:

"Most of the rabbits sold as dwarves in pet stores are not true dwarfs, but crosses between a dwarf and a standard rabbit. These "mongrels" are hardier, but grow to a larger size and lack the characteristic small head and low carriage of the true dwarf."

I'm thinking if it was a mix it would be a Netherland Dwarf/Dutch since it's from the pet store so it probably wouldn't have rare breeds and it's the only combination that seems to fit from this list.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_most_common_rabbit_breeds

Also I have allergies and was wondering if a Netherland Dwarf/Mini-Rex mix could produce a similar looking rabbit. Or if a mini-rex runt could reproduce something similar.

qod0qx.jpg

i1jsk5.jpg

2lco26d.jpg

Thank you

Please don't get any rabbits from a pet shop. There are 33,000 rabbits across rescues across the UK. Pet shop staff can't even guarentee the sex of any rabbits, whearas if you get them from a rescue, they are generally already neutered, vaccinated, and sometimes even bonded. If you rescue a rabbit, then you will be saving two- the rabbit you adopt and the one that will take the space in the rescue.

Please don't get any rabbits from a pet shop. There are 33,000 rabbits across rescues across the UK. Pet shop staff can't even guarentee the sex of any rabbits, whearas if you get them from a rescue, they are generally already neutered, vaccinated, and sometimes even bonded. If you rescue a rabbit, then you will be saving two- the rabbit you adopt and the one that will take the space in the rescue.
I probably wouldn't. I'm very picky, I'd just want to get this one again.

Poor things having to live in that tiny cage with a wire bottom :( Although they have some yummy greens there it doesn't look like they have any hay either - and hay needs to be 80+% of their diet. I'm also concerned that 2 adult males are in a cage together, if they tried to fight (not that there's enough room!) they could seriously injure or kill each other :(

But anyway...yeah they do look like netherland dwarf crosses, they are probably just crossed with other netherland dwarf crosses, rather than from any other pure breed :)

They look like nethies to me but could have been crossed in their past..... 'show standard' nethies have very flat faces and smaller ears but even pure bred parents can produce babies with longer ears and pointier faces.....

What weight are they?

This is my nethie, Rimmi. Hes only 800 g which is very small for a nethie but he came from a breeder and is show standard apart from is colouring as he has white ticking:

100_1208.jpg

100_1193.jpg

And this is my rescue bun. Her dad is a polish x lionhead and her mum is a polish so she is mostly a polish dwarf which are sleeker than nethiers, with a pointier face and longer ears....

100_1544.jpg

And here they are together:

100_1592.jpg

And please do not buy buns from pet shops... they are often breeders stock they dont want or from people who dont really know how to breed buns. My half sister bought one from a shop after I told her not to and it died a few days later... turns out they knew one had already died from the litter and they didnt get the others checked out ..... :( Plus rescue centres neuter/spey and vaccs their buns............and are way more reliable at telling you what gender they are!!! Pet shops get it wrong too often ... :D

And the buns are most likely going to get very sore/bleeding feet if they are kept in that cage, no animal should be kept on mesh, whether cat/dog/rabbit etc.

Poor things having to live in that tiny cage with a wire bottom :( Although they have some yummy greens there it doesn't look like they have any hay either - and hay needs to be 80+% of their diet. I'm also concerned that 2 adult males are in a cage together, if they tried to fight (not that there's enough room!) they could seriously injure or kill each other :(

But anyway...yeah they do look like netherland dwarf crosses, they are probably just crossed with other netherland dwarf crosses, rather than from any other pure breed :)
I was 9 and the internet didn't exist, I didn't know. They were from the same mom and they never fought, just attempted to mount each other from time to time.

At the time the pet store had 2 types of rabbit cages to choose from.

Last edited:
Can you not put something on the bottom of the cage as their feet will become very sore:?. I agree with everyone else as regards breed 'Nethie crosses'

If I understand correctly I don't think the OP has these rabbits. I think they had them as a child and now wants the same type of rabbit?

Back